Seven players with ties to the state of Utah make it to Super Bowl XLVII
The stage is set for New Orleans and Super Bowl XLVII.
With the Ravens and the 49ers reaching this year's big game in the "Big Easy" after victories Sunday in the conference championship round, seven players with Utah ties will be on this year's Super Bowl rosters.
Baltimore, facing New England for the second year in a row in the AFC championship game, trailed 13-7 at halftime before scoring the game's final 21 points to take a 28-13 victory and the AFC's bid into the Super Bowl.
It avenges the Ravens' narrow 23-20 loss to the Patriots in the AFC title game last year, when Baltimore had a dropped TD pass and a missed field goal in the final minute of the game.
Five Ravens have ties to the Beehive State, including Dennis Pitta (TE, BYU), Paul Kruger (LB, Utah), Haloti Ngata (NT, Highland High), Ma'ake Kemoeatu (DE, Utah) and David Reed (WR, Utah).
In San Francisco's 28-24 victory over Atlanta in the NFC championship game, it looked early as though the Falcons would be going to just their second Super Bowl. Atlanta built a 17-0 lead early in the second quarter and still led 24-14 at the half.
But behind the strong play of Frank Gore and Colin Kaepernick, the 49ers rallied and will seek their franchise's sixth NFL title when the big game kicks off in two weeks.
Two players on San Francisco's team have ties to Utah: Alex Smith (QB, Utah) and Will Tukuafu (DT, East High).
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13