DSC basketball: Johnna Brown leads Red Storm to victory over Cal Baptist
Julie Buchanan Photography
SAINT GEORGE, Utah -Johnna Brown (Las Vegas, NV/Centennial ) has dominated her opponents all year long and tonight was no exception. She led the Dixie State women's team to a 73-69 Pacific West Conference win over California Baptist by scoring 24 points and grabbing 13 rebounds en-route to her ninth double double of the season.
Brown was 10-for-17 from the floor, 4-of-7 from the foul line and added seven assists and three stills in 37 minutes tonight.
The team performance helped interim head coach Derek Dawes earn his first ever coaching victory tonight.
A Erica Hayes (East Palo Alto, CA/Menlo-Atherton) hit a jumper with 12:26 left in the first half and gave the Red Storm a 12-10 lead that they never relinquished. They led by as many as 10 in the first half and 13 in the second half.
The Lancers began to chip away at the Red Storm lead heading toward the halftime break, getting within six late. A final possession in which the Lancers gave up two offensive boards and three shots led to a Dixie State bucket and a 37-29 lead heading into the break, however.
Brown scored 15 of her game high 24 in the first half, but Jasmine Beverly did manage 13 points in the half for CBU. The Red Storm offense was efficient in the first half, outscoring the Lancers 22-12 in the paint.
With just over five to play, CBU cut what had been a double-digit Red Storm lead to six at 63-57.
CBU then went to work both on the defensive end and on the glass, getting an offensive rebound and bucket from Beverly and then a steal on the defensive end leading to a foul . Simone Holmes hit one of two foul shots to cut it to 63-60.
Jordan Giles (Rock Springs, WY/Rock Springs) responded with a huge three on the very next possession to push it back to six.
CBU again battled back and cut it to a four point game with 1:38 to play and then two possessions late made it 68-66 on a Myiah Hicks drive to the basket with 25 seconds left.
After the Hicks basket, a quick foul sent Kaylah Miller (San Diego, CA/La Jolla Country Day) to the line. Miller would hit four consecutive free throws to secure the victory and sweep the season series with the Lancers.
Dixie State shot 44.3 percent from the floor and forced the Lancers to shoot below their season average at 35.7 percent.
CBU drops to 10-4 overall and 14-2 in the PacWest. Beverly finished the game with her fourth double-double of the year, posting 25 points and 15 rebounds. Hicks scored 18 in the game.
Hayes sparked the Red Storm off the bench with 10 points and helped DSC improve to 8-8 overall and 6-2 in the PWC.
Dixie State will have the week off before welcoming the Cougars of Azusa Pacific next Saturday at the Burns Arena.
Jeff Cluff is the Coordinator of Media Relations at Dixie State College Athletics. Contact him at email@example.com.
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- Utah Jazz: Team is a long shot to win NBA's...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: Logan's Chase Nelson...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 130
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 53
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 22
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 13
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10