PROVO, Utah – The BYU women’s tennis team won its first match of the 2013 season by defeating Weber State 7-0 on Saturday afternoon at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“The girls came out and played really well today,” head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “They played with confidence and it’s a great way to start our season.”
BYU (1-0) swept Weber State (0-1) to improve to 13-0 all-time against the Wildcats.
The Cougars secured the doubles point as all three teams won their matches. On Court 1, sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and freshman Nicolette Tran topped Kristi Elmer and Thais Kurer 8-3.
Sophomore Morgan Anderson and freshman Mackenna Maddox beat Michelle Warwick and Ashley Tanner 8-2. The third doubles duo of senior Aubrey Paul and junior Desiree Tran also won 8-2 against Carly Lloyd and Nittaya Phoharath.
All six singles matches were won by BYU in straight sets. Anderson played first singles and won 6-2, 6-1 against Tanner. Sheehan-Dizon outlasted Elmer 6-1 7-5.
On court 3, Desiree Tran dominated Kurer 6-1, 6-1. Maddox also quickly secured a point for her team by beating Warwik 6-0, 6-1.
Nicolette Tran got her first victory as a Cougar, and Paul came away with a win on court 6.
The Cougars will face the Utah State Aggies next Saturday at noon in Provo.
1. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) def. Elmer/Kurer (WSU) 8-3Comment on this story
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Warwick/Tanner (WSU) 8-2
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. Lloyd/Phonharath (WSU) 8-2
1. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Ashley Tanner (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Kristi Elmer (WSU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Thais Kurer (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Nittaya Phonharath (WSU) 6-7, 6-3 (Ret.)
5. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) def. Michelle Warwick (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Annika Karlsen (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.