USU tennis: women win season opener at home against Idaho State, 7-0
Utah State women’s tennis opened its 2013 spring season with a 7-0 home win against Idaho State on Friday afternoon at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club.
At No. 1 singles, sophomore McKenzie Davis defeated Idaho State's Marian Tangarife in straight sets (6-1, 6-0), while senior Jaci West also won in straight sets at No. 2 singles against ISU's Kasey Bacon (7-6, 7-5). At No. 3 singles, senior Julie Tukuafu defeated the Bengals Madelyn Weltzin in three sets (6-3, 4-6, 6-0), and at No. 4 singles senior Kristina Voystekhovich won in straight sets against Idaho State's Zamira Vasquez (6-4, 6-1). USU freshman Kallie Sperry defeated ISU's Svenja Tegtmeier in a tie breaker match (5-7, 7-5 (10-2)) at No. 5 singles, and Utah State sophomore Hillary Hays defeated Idaho State's Wiebke Boeckmann in straight sets (6-4, 6-5) at No. 6 singles.
In doubles play, Davis and West posted an 8-2 win at the first position against Idaho State’s Boeckmann and Tegtmeier. Hays and Tukuafu also posted an 8-2 win at the third position against ISU's Vasquez and Tegtmeier, and Voytsekhovich and Sperry's match at the second position against Bacon and Weltzin was left unfinished with Utah State taking the doubles point.
Utah State returns to action Saturday, Jan. 26, when it travels to Provo to face BYU at 1 p.m. USU then returns home to host Portland State on Friday, Feb. 8, at the Sports Academy and Racqet Club at 12 p.m.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48