Book review: 'An American, A Mormon and a Christian' gives Orrin Hatch platform to testify about Christ
The candidacy of Mitt Romney for the presidency of the United States of America opened the door for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to share their beliefs as never before. Taking advantage of this "Mormon Moment," Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch has written a new book in response to some of the questions asked by people of other faiths.
Hatch, a Republican, has been a member of the United States Congress since 1976 and has attained significant notoriety because of his service. He is also a lifetime member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, having filled many positions of leadership and service throughout the years. His book, "An American, A Mormon and a Christian: What I Believe," shares his thoughts and feelings about his religion and the basic principles and doctrines it teaches.
Following a simple pattern used for many years in the missionary efforts of the church, Hatch starts by inviting readers to think about three questions:
"Where did I come from?"
"Why am I here?"
"Where am I going?"
Relying on basic Mormon doctrine, scripture and prophetic quotes, Hatch dissects each of these questions, examining the simple truths of the faith of the Latter-day Saints. Each section is designed to share principles and doctrines as they are taught by the LDS Church.
Readers steeped in the LDS faith will find the treatment very elementary but useful when sharing ideas with those who are not familiar with the church. And those who are learning more about the LDS faith will discover the simple truths that have directed the affairs of the church for the last 183 years.
Hatch has written a fine primer on the source of his beliefs and presents it in a very readable format. This would make a good gift for those who have interest in LDS doctrine or have questions about what the LDS Church believes.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Obama signed a new order that protects gay...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 69
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 55
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 51
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Obama signed a new order that protects... 33
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 27
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 21
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15