You are a busy parent who has just put time into preparing a meal or snack that ended up being thrown on the floor, in your hair and on your nerves. When is the best time to teach children manners? When in their development are they ready to learn this is not the best way to say they don't want to eat that food or to even eat at all?
Teaching children to turn down food politely has helped parents be less frustrated at meal times. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, by age 12 months, children have the ability to do the following:
Test parental responses to their actions during feedings
Test parental responses to their behavior
Pay increasing attention to speech
Respond to simple verbal requests
Respond to “no”
Use simple gestures, such as shaking head for “no”
By 18 months:
Say several single words (15 to 18 months)
Use simple phrases (18 to 24 months)
Follow simple instructions
Parents can start teaching them to say "please" and "no, thank you." When children are a little older, some parents use the "'no, thank you' bite" so children learn early on they are expected to try a food in order to say "no, thank you" to the rest of it.
How are other parents handling this? Please share what works for you in teaching children to turn food down politely or to communicate when they are through.
Rachel Richins is a registered dietitian whose focus is in pediatrics and women's health. Contact her at Live.Nourished@gmail.com
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- 21 things to look forward to at Disneyland's...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- Utahn Sierra Dawn Thomas reflects on...
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a surprisingly...
- 100 deadly days of summer: What you must do...
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror dropping...
- Nothing else they would rather do: Couple has...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 165
- Erin Stewart: Why do men want 'strong'... 14
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 10
- Arianne Brown: Pretty girls can too... 5
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may... 4
- 100 deadly days of summer: What you... 4
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror... 4
- The most popular boy names from 1960 to... 2