Book review: 'Boundless' is a fast-paced conclusion to the 'Unearthly' series
Two years ago, readers were introduced to the world of Clara Gardner in "Unearthly," the first of Cynthia Hand trilogy. This month, Clara's story comes to a conclusion in "Boundless," the last of the Unearthly series.
As an angel-blood, Clara has spent the last few years learning to deal with the visions she receives and become a force for good in the fight against the Black Wings. "Boundless" is the height of this coming of age where she has to deal with the loss of a friend to the powers of hell and choosing between the man she loves and the man who has been her partner since the beginning.
"Boundless" is well-paced, answering many of the questions Clara has had about her own family and where the line is between destiny and choice. While Clara deals with self-doubt and weakness, she also finds strength through those who love her and the will to save her friends, her family and, in the end, herself.
Readers will want to read this series in order, beginning with "Unearthly" and "Hallowed," as there are many character connections and pieces of the backstory that can be guessed at by starting here, but are unclear without reading the previous novels.
While the specific language and context of this novel are family-friendly, the series is aimed at midteen to adult readers. The characters deal with the ramifications of adult relationships and the concerns of a girl with supernatural connections who is also moving through the later years of high school and into college.
"Boundless" is an easy read and a satisfying conclusion to the series. The emphasis on loyalty, family and self-worth is a positive message leading to a well-deserved happy ending.
If you go ...
What: "Boundless" launch party and Cynthia Hand book signing
When: Tuesday, Jan. 22, 7 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Jana Brown is a freelance writer, wife and mother. She is an avid reader who resolves one day to have a full database of all the books in the house. She blogs at cornabys.wordpress.com.
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager...
- The newscasters who have made the most cameos...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Utahns compete, succeed on 'American Ninja...
- Raising citizens: Tips to help parents... 6
- Hollywood's treatment of the disabled... 6
- BYU alum Rob Gardner, Cinematic Pop... 2
- 'Resurgence' is a weak payoff for fans... 2
- Extraterrestrial encounters: A look at... 1
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new... 0
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager... 0
- The newscasters who have made the most... 0