ESPN: Tuiasosopo, the man allegedly behind Te'o's non-existent dead girlfriend, confesses hoax
A Deadspin.com report earlier this week asserted Lennay Kekua was a figment of someone's imagination, and the name that Deadspin proposed as the mastermind behind the Kekua persona is Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.
Thursday, the assertion that Tuiasosopo was behind the Kekua persona were substantiated. A friend of Tuaisosopo's told ESPN's Outside the Lines on Thursday that Tuiasosopo called her up in tears and admitted he was behind the Lennay Kekua hoax.
According to the ESPN report, Tuiasosopo's friend said the hoax started as a game, and was not the first time Tuiasosopo had done it.
"He (Ronaiah) told me that Manti was not involved at all, he was a victim. The girlfriend was a lie, the accident was a lie, the leukemia was a lie," said the woman. "He was crying, he was literally crying, he's like, 'I know, I know what I have to do.'
"It's not only Manti, but he was telling me that it's a lot of other people they had done this to."
The ESPN report says the friend was interviewed under conditions of anonymity because she feared for the safety of herself and her family in the wake of the publicity this story has generated, but did allow her voice to be recorded.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26