ESPN: Tuiasosopo, the man allegedly behind Te'o's non-existent dead girlfriend, confesses hoax
A Deadspin.com report earlier this week asserted Lennay Kekua was a figment of someone's imagination, and the name that Deadspin proposed as the mastermind behind the Kekua persona is Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.
Thursday, the assertion that Tuiasosopo was behind the Kekua persona were substantiated. A friend of Tuaisosopo's told ESPN's Outside the Lines on Thursday that Tuiasosopo called her up in tears and admitted he was behind the Lennay Kekua hoax.
According to the ESPN report, Tuiasosopo's friend said the hoax started as a game, and was not the first time Tuiasosopo had done it.
"He (Ronaiah) told me that Manti was not involved at all, he was a victim. The girlfriend was a lie, the accident was a lie, the leukemia was a lie," said the woman. "He was crying, he was literally crying, he's like, 'I know, I know what I have to do.'
"It's not only Manti, but he was telling me that it's a lot of other people they had done this to."
The ESPN report says the friend was interviewed under conditions of anonymity because she feared for the safety of herself and her family in the wake of the publicity this story has generated, but did allow her voice to be recorded.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 27