SALT LAKE CITY — An alleged serial robber has been charged.
Sandra Chotia-Thompson, 40, believed by investigators to be half of the female duo responsible for more than a half-dozen robberies in Salt Lake County, as well as being involved in a shootout with a Murray police officer, was charged with one count of aggravated robbery Thursday in 3rd District Court.
Chotia-Thompson was charged in connection with a robbery at the Grocery Store, 1224 S. 400 East, on Jan. 9. In that incident, police say she took money from a cash register at gunpoint.
Chotia-Thompson was arrested a couple of hours later at Smith's Marketplace, 455 S. 500 East, after police contacted her by cellphone and persuaded her to surrender.
Her arrest came less than 11 hours after her alleged accomplice, Kelly Fay Simons, 38, was shot and killed during a confrontation with the Joint Criminal Apprehension Team.
Law enforcers believe the women were responsible for six to nine armed robberies around the county, including one at Scaddy's restaurant, 5430 S. 900 East, on Jan. 5. Following that robbery, one of the women was spotted by a Murray police officer, who chased after her on foot.
As the woman reached a waiting getaway vehicle, she fired several shots at the officer before driving off. The officer returned fire. No one was injured.
Law enforcers around the valley stepped up their efforts to find the women following that incident.
On Jan. 9, a JCAT officer spotted Simons near Liberty Park at 974 S. 740 East. After some type of confrontation, Simons was shot and killed. The shooting remained under investigation Thursday.
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23