SALT LAKE CITY — An alleged serial robber has been charged.
Sandra Chotia-Thompson, 40, believed by investigators to be half of the female duo responsible for more than a half-dozen robberies in Salt Lake County, as well as being involved in a shootout with a Murray police officer, was charged with one count of aggravated robbery Thursday in 3rd District Court.
Chotia-Thompson was charged in connection with a robbery at the Grocery Store, 1224 S. 400 East, on Jan. 9. In that incident, police say she took money from a cash register at gunpoint.
Chotia-Thompson was arrested a couple of hours later at Smith's Marketplace, 455 S. 500 East, after police contacted her by cellphone and persuaded her to surrender.
Her arrest came less than 11 hours after her alleged accomplice, Kelly Fay Simons, 38, was shot and killed during a confrontation with the Joint Criminal Apprehension Team.
Law enforcers believe the women were responsible for six to nine armed robberies around the county, including one at Scaddy's restaurant, 5430 S. 900 East, on Jan. 5. Following that robbery, one of the women was spotted by a Murray police officer, who chased after her on foot.
As the woman reached a waiting getaway vehicle, she fired several shots at the officer before driving off. The officer returned fire. No one was injured.
Law enforcers around the valley stepped up their efforts to find the women following that incident.
On Jan. 9, a JCAT officer spotted Simons near Liberty Park at 974 S. 740 East. After some type of confrontation, Simons was shot and killed. The shooting remained under investigation Thursday.
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 29
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7