Violence: Much of the film deals with how the character Mama handles people and her jealous rage. She does not like other people touching or interacting with "her" children. There are attacks and death.
Paranormal: The afterlife plays a large part in this story. Scary images appear on walls, and there are living things coming out of the walls.
Drinking/sensuality: Annabelle (Jessica Chastain) lives the life of a bass player in a rock band before she must take care of two girls. This life includes having a beer every now and again. She is never drunk in the film. She and Luke (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) are in bed twice, but no clothes are removed.
"Mama" is not as scary as the trailer makes it out to be. There are moments of fear, usually due to some surprise on the screen, but there are also times the film is predictable and formulaic. Some touching moments are found in this story, which makes it much more enjoyable. "Mama" is rated appropriately, but not everyone 13 years old should see this film.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer.
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt Romney...
- Julie Andrews missed NBC's live 'Sound of Music'
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Ballet West's 'Nutcracker' a splendid success
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- About Utah: After 72 years, Keith Hottinger...
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Toddler basketball star,... 5
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 4
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt... 3
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition... 2
- Donor offers $5 million to help protect... 1
- Study: Erratic TV violence ratings fail... 1