Violence: Much of the film deals with how the character Mama handles people and her jealous rage. She does not like other people touching or interacting with "her" children. There are attacks and death.
Paranormal: The afterlife plays a large part in this story. Scary images appear on walls, and there are living things coming out of the walls.
Drinking/sensuality: Annabelle (Jessica Chastain) lives the life of a bass player in a rock band before she must take care of two girls. This life includes having a beer every now and again. She is never drunk in the film. She and Luke (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) are in bed twice, but no clothes are removed.
"Mama" is not as scary as the trailer makes it out to be. There are moments of fear, usually due to some surprise on the screen, but there are also times the film is predictable and formulaic. Some touching moments are found in this story, which makes it much more enjoyable. "Mama" is rated appropriately, but not everyone 13 years old should see this film.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer.
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- 'The Addams Family' has clever Utah Valley...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- The complicated relationship between God and rap
- The changing definition of 'TV': What parents...
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your...
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite abuse charge
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 15
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015 1
- Miss America: More to worry about than... 1
- When it comes to TV's future,... 1