Violence: Much of the film deals with how the character Mama handles people and her jealous rage. She does not like other people touching or interacting with "her" children. There are attacks and death.
Paranormal: The afterlife plays a large part in this story. Scary images appear on walls, and there are living things coming out of the walls.
Drinking/sensuality: Annabelle (Jessica Chastain) lives the life of a bass player in a rock band before she must take care of two girls. This life includes having a beer every now and again. She is never drunk in the film. She and Luke (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) are in bed twice, but no clothes are removed.
"Mama" is not as scary as the trailer makes it out to be. There are moments of fear, usually due to some surprise on the screen, but there are also times the film is predictable and formulaic. Some touching moments are found in this story, which makes it much more enjoyable. "Mama" is rated appropriately, but not everyone 13 years old should see this film.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer.
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is an awesome mix...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy?
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: The biggest...
- 10 ways Disney can help those with autism
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': 3 points for parents
- Farewell, Monty Python
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 17
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days 6
- George W. Bush writes book about father 3
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Farewell, Monty Python 2