Violence: Much of the film deals with how the character Mama handles people and her jealous rage. She does not like other people touching or interacting with "her" children. There are attacks and death.
Paranormal: The afterlife plays a large part in this story. Scary images appear on walls, and there are living things coming out of the walls.
Drinking/sensuality: Annabelle (Jessica Chastain) lives the life of a bass player in a rock band before she must take care of two girls. This life includes having a beer every now and again. She is never drunk in the film. She and Luke (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) are in bed twice, but no clothes are removed.
"Mama" is not as scary as the trailer makes it out to be. There are moments of fear, usually due to some surprise on the screen, but there are also times the film is predictable and formulaic. Some touching moments are found in this story, which makes it much more enjoyable. "Mama" is rated appropriately, but not everyone 13 years old should see this film.
Shawn O'Neill is the Family Man Movie Reviewer.
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- Clean Cut: '20 things we should say more often'
- An 'unlikely father of five': Comedian Jim...
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: The difference between...
- 7 young musicians to perform with Utah...
- Olympian Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charge
- Utah Shakespeare Festival stages worthy,...
- The Clean Cut: 'You poked my heart,' boy says...
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 4
- The challenge of using media to tell... 2
- 'Frozen' Disney World ride plans upset... 2
- George Clooney marries human rights... 1
- Olympian Michael Phelps arrested on DUI... 1
- An unusually high number of PG-rated... 1
- An 'unlikely father of five': Comedian... 1
- The Clean Cut: 'You poked my heart,'... 1