Ogden teacher charged with sexually abusing teen boys
OGDEN — An Ogden elementary school teacher was charged Thursday with sexually abusing two 13-year-old boys.
Scott Ray McMurray, 58, was charged with 11 counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child and three counts of sodomy on a child, all first-degree felonies, in 2nd District Court. Though McMurray is a sixth-grade teacher at Heritage Elementary School, 373 S. 150 West, police said the alleged victims are relatives and were not students at the school.
The abuse occurred multiple times within the past six months, according to investigators.
McMurray also appeared in court Thursday, where an attorney was appointed for him and his bail was set for $240,000. Judge Michael Lyon also ordered McMurray to have no contact with the victims or their families.
Another hearing has been set for Wednesday, at which time McMurray will determine whether he wants a hearing on the evidence against him.
An Ogden School District spokeswoman said the district learned of McMurray's arrest Tuesday and immediately placed him on administrative leave. McMurray has been employed by Ogden School District for 16 years.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 90
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 47
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 34
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- Gov. Gary Herbert's 'big change' over... 22