Ogden teacher charged with sexually abusing teen boys
OGDEN — An Ogden elementary school teacher was charged Thursday with sexually abusing two 13-year-old boys.
Scott Ray McMurray, 58, was charged with 11 counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child and three counts of sodomy on a child, all first-degree felonies, in 2nd District Court. Though McMurray is a sixth-grade teacher at Heritage Elementary School, 373 S. 150 West, police said the alleged victims are relatives and were not students at the school.
The abuse occurred multiple times within the past six months, according to investigators.
McMurray also appeared in court Thursday, where an attorney was appointed for him and his bail was set for $240,000. Judge Michael Lyon also ordered McMurray to have no contact with the victims or their families.
Another hearing has been set for Wednesday, at which time McMurray will determine whether he wants a hearing on the evidence against him.
An Ogden School District spokeswoman said the district learned of McMurray's arrest Tuesday and immediately placed him on administrative leave. McMurray has been employed by Ogden School District for 16 years.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- Are 'calm' South Jordan burglars tied to...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 68
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 45
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 35
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13