#Trending: Cougar nation reacts on social media to Roderick returning to Utah
Michael Brandy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — When Aaron Roderick committed to be a BYU coach, there wasn't a whole lot of social buzz. When he committed back to Utah, Twitter exploded.
Roderick played for BYU during the 1990's and has coached at the University of Utah as a receivers' coach for eight seasons.
This twist in the in-state college coaching carousel was completely unexpected. It is not, however, the first time that Aaron Roderick has committed to coach at another Division 1 college program only to return to the Utes.
In 2009, Roderick committed to coach the Washington Huskies alongside then-new head coach and former BYU quarterback Steve Sarkisian. Nine days later, Roderick returned to Utah's sidelines.
This is what Roderick said of his decision in 2009:
"I handled this whole thing badly. But I didn't want to compound my mistakes, when where I really want to be is Utah. This was never about titles and money. This is about doing what is right for me and my family. I love coaching at the University of Utah and I am grateful that Coach Whittingham welcomed me back."
Fans of both the University of Utah and BYU opined heavily on social media. Here are some of the more notable tweets concerning Roderick:
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26