Real Salt Lake: Star midfielder Javier Morales signs contract to remain with club
Brian Nicholson, OKespa–ol
Javier Morales helped the fans of his club rest easy Wednesday night.
Morales' tweet read: "I couldn't be happier. Just sign my new contract with RSL. Thanks to the Club, Owner, coaches, teammates and especially to the FANS!"
Morales has been an essential playmaker for Salt Lake since being acquired in 2007. Coach Jason Kreis admitted during the 2012 season that a large number of plays go through the star midfielder.
"He's our playmaker. He's our No. 10," Kreis said. "He's been a part of every success we've had because of that, because of the contributions he's made in the attacking half of the field."
During the much-anticipated 2011 RSL season, during which the club advanced to the CONCACAF Champions League final, Morales took a severe blow to his ankle that required a five-month layoff.
He ultimately made it back, however, and even though critics claimed he would never be the same player he once was, Morales has fought through it.
Now with a new contract, he will remain on the field sporting the Claret and Colbalt.
FINDLEY ALSO SIGNS
In addition to Morales, striker Robbie Findley from the Portland Timbers will re-join Real Salt Lake in the upcoming season. Findley was a crucial part of the RSL team that won MLS Cup in 2009.
Kreis is supportive of his return.
"Welcome Home Robbie Findley!" Kreis tweeted. "I am extremely excited about his return and am eager to get back to work with him. Onwards and Upwards!"
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- High school football: Riverton coach Mike...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 47
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 33