Real Salt Lake: Star midfielder Javier Morales signs contract to remain with club
Brian Nicholson, OKespa–ol
Javier Morales helped the fans of his club rest easy Wednesday night.
Morales' tweet read: "I couldn't be happier. Just sign my new contract with RSL. Thanks to the Club, Owner, coaches, teammates and especially to the FANS!"
Morales has been an essential playmaker for Salt Lake since being acquired in 2007. Coach Jason Kreis admitted during the 2012 season that a large number of plays go through the star midfielder.
"He's our playmaker. He's our No. 10," Kreis said. "He's been a part of every success we've had because of that, because of the contributions he's made in the attacking half of the field."
During the much-anticipated 2011 RSL season, during which the club advanced to the CONCACAF Champions League final, Morales took a severe blow to his ankle that required a five-month layoff.
He ultimately made it back, however, and even though critics claimed he would never be the same player he once was, Morales has fought through it.
Now with a new contract, he will remain on the field sporting the Claret and Colbalt.
FINDLEY ALSO SIGNS
In addition to Morales, striker Robbie Findley from the Portland Timbers will re-join Real Salt Lake in the upcoming season. Findley was a crucial part of the RSL team that won MLS Cup in 2009.
Kreis is supportive of his return.
"Welcome Home Robbie Findley!" Kreis tweeted. "I am extremely excited about his return and am eager to get back to work with him. Onwards and Upwards!"
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 102
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 29
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 26