Real Salt Lake: Star midfielder Javier Morales signs contract to remain with club
Brian Nicholson, OKespa–ol
Javier Morales helped the fans of his club rest easy Wednesday night.
Morales' tweet read: "I couldn't be happier. Just sign my new contract with RSL. Thanks to the Club, Owner, coaches, teammates and especially to the FANS!"
Morales has been an essential playmaker for Salt Lake since being acquired in 2007. Coach Jason Kreis admitted during the 2012 season that a large number of plays go through the star midfielder.
"He's our playmaker. He's our No. 10," Kreis said. "He's been a part of every success we've had because of that, because of the contributions he's made in the attacking half of the field."
During the much-anticipated 2011 RSL season, during which the club advanced to the CONCACAF Champions League final, Morales took a severe blow to his ankle that required a five-month layoff.
He ultimately made it back, however, and even though critics claimed he would never be the same player he once was, Morales has fought through it.
Now with a new contract, he will remain on the field sporting the Claret and Colbalt.
FINDLEY ALSO SIGNS
In addition to Morales, striker Robbie Findley from the Portland Timbers will re-join Real Salt Lake in the upcoming season. Findley was a crucial part of the RSL team that won MLS Cup in 2009.
Kreis is supportive of his return.
"Welcome Home Robbie Findley!" Kreis tweeted. "I am extremely excited about his return and am eager to get back to work with him. Onwards and Upwards!"
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25