Weber State basketball: Wildcats hope to extend winning streak vs. Northern Arizona
OGDEN – The number stands at 32 and counting.
It has been 32 days — Dec. 15 — since the last time Weber State walked off a basketball court with a loss. The Wildcats have since won seven straight games and 10 of their last 11. Considering they’ve won 30 of their last 32 at the Dee Events Center, the odds of them losing there against lowly Northern Arizona aren't very high.
But obviously it's still possible.
The Lumberjacks (5-11, 2-4) sure hope so.
They'll invade Ogden tonight at 7 p.m., losers of three straight and six of their last seven, hoping to end Weber State's winning streak.
To this point, NAU has had big problems defensively. The ‘Jacks are last in the Big Sky in scoring defense, coughing up slightly more than 77 points per game. They also rank 11th in scoring margin and 10th in rebounding.
Freshman DeWayne Russell has been the bright spot in his debut college season with the ‘Jacks. Currently, he sits atop the Big Sky in points per game (16.2 ppg). Gabe Rogers is also a capable scorer at 14.4, and Judge Memorial graduate Stallon Saldivar leads the team and ranks fifth in the Big Sky in assists (3.9 apg).
Weber State (11-3, 6-0) has won eight straight over NAU and is 41-7 all time at home against the Lumberjacks.
The ‘Cats should have a significant size advantage in the post between Kyle Tresnak, Frank Otis, Joel Bolomboy and James Hajek with NAU typically playing in three-guard, two-forward sets without a true center on the court. WSU already leads the Big Sky in rebounding — one of 11 statistical categories it ranks first in.
Wildcats and Lumberjacks on the air
Northern Arizona (5-11, 2-4) at Weber State (11-3, 6-0)
Thursday, 7 p.m.
Dee Events Center, Ogden
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @tphibbsami
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20