Weber State basketball: Wildcats hope to extend winning streak vs. Northern Arizona
OGDEN – The number stands at 32 and counting.
It has been 32 days — Dec. 15 — since the last time Weber State walked off a basketball court with a loss. The Wildcats have since won seven straight games and 10 of their last 11. Considering they’ve won 30 of their last 32 at the Dee Events Center, the odds of them losing there against lowly Northern Arizona aren't very high.
But obviously it's still possible.
The Lumberjacks (5-11, 2-4) sure hope so.
They'll invade Ogden tonight at 7 p.m., losers of three straight and six of their last seven, hoping to end Weber State's winning streak.
To this point, NAU has had big problems defensively. The ‘Jacks are last in the Big Sky in scoring defense, coughing up slightly more than 77 points per game. They also rank 11th in scoring margin and 10th in rebounding.
Freshman DeWayne Russell has been the bright spot in his debut college season with the ‘Jacks. Currently, he sits atop the Big Sky in points per game (16.2 ppg). Gabe Rogers is also a capable scorer at 14.4, and Judge Memorial graduate Stallon Saldivar leads the team and ranks fifth in the Big Sky in assists (3.9 apg).
Weber State (11-3, 6-0) has won eight straight over NAU and is 41-7 all time at home against the Lumberjacks.
The ‘Cats should have a significant size advantage in the post between Kyle Tresnak, Frank Otis, Joel Bolomboy and James Hajek with NAU typically playing in three-guard, two-forward sets without a true center on the court. WSU already leads the Big Sky in rebounding — one of 11 statistical categories it ranks first in.
Wildcats and Lumberjacks on the air
Northern Arizona (5-11, 2-4) at Weber State (11-3, 6-0)
Thursday, 7 p.m.
Dee Events Center, Ogden
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @tphibbsami
- Scott Mitchell: Former U., NFL quarterback...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Morning links: Trevor Booker calls Quin...
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone Peak...
- Local flavor in the NBA: Breaking down...
- 2015 Utah high school football schedules...
- National experts weigh in on the Utah Utes'...
- BYU football: Cougars face even more... 138
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 80
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 66
- Ultimate football road trips:... 47
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 34
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 33
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32