Many fans and media members have been clamoring for promising young big man Derrick Favors (8.5 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game) to get more playing time, and he has — with mixed results — but still not enough time on the floor to suit most folks who reside in that camp.
Marvin Williams (8.8 ppg), Enes Kanter (6.2 ppg), and DeMarre Carroll (5.5 ppg) have all had their moments; Alec Burks (5.5 ppg) tantalizes us with his talent and occasional flashes of brilliance, and the veteran twosome of Jamaal Tinsley and Earl Watson have split playing time at point guard and filled in admirably in Mo Williams' absence.
Head coach Tyrone Corbin continues to grow into the job that was thrust upon him when the venerable Jerry Sloan abruptly walked away in 2011. Corbin won't ever be as intensely competitive as Sloan was, but there's no doubt that Ty wants to win ballgames just as badly as his old boss did.
Now, he just needs his team to completely buy into what he's selling and take the court every night with the energy, desire, enthusiasm and determination needed to be successful in this league.
Do that, for 48 minutes night in and night out, and the wins will surely follow.
Take a night off, or even a quarter or two, and inconsistency will become your most glaring weakness.
Just look at the Utah Jazz, and their 2012-13 regular-season performance thus far, as proof.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50