BYU men's basketball: BYU students turn out in full force to watch what turns out to be a crushing defeat
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — A group of rabid BYU students camped out in tents this week, braving frigid conditions in anticipation of Wednesday's late game between the Cougars and Saint Mary's.
As usual, the student section, also known as the "ROC" (Roar of Cougars), made its presence felt at the Marriott Center. Students were clad in white T-shirts in honor Wednesday's "whiteout."
Unfortunately for the Cougars, the student section went home disappointed as the Gaels defeated BYU, 70-69. Saint Mary's guard Matthew Dellavedova drained a 3-pointer at the buzzer.
"When this place is full, it's as tough to play as anywhere in the country," BYU guard Tyler Haws said prior to the game. "It gets really loud. Our fans are awesome. So I definitely believe it's one of the top places to play, for sure."
"We have the greatest fans in the world. They're like that for every game. They're always supporting us," said Cougar forward Brandon Davies. "We always see them in their tents, out there freezing. We're complaining just walking to class and they're out there sleeping in it. We have nothing but love for our fans."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 63
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43