Legacy Parkway, I-215 shootings likely related, police say
FARMINGTON — A man was injured Wednesday night following a shootout with police, the result of a high-speed chase and reports of shots being fired at a vehicle on Legacy Parkway.
Police say a 37-year-old Hispanic man driving a rental car with out-of-state license plates fired a gun at a white pickup truck about 5:30 p.m. on Legacy Parkway. The vehicles then exited the highway at Park Lane.
Police pursued the car at high speeds through Farmington, eventually exchanging fire with the man near 650 West and State Street. The man sustained "superficial" injuries in the incident, but wasn't hit by gunfire, Farmington Police Chief Wayne Hansen said.
Neither police nor the occupant of the pickup were injured, he said.
"Our officers returned fire after they were fired on," Hansen said.
The man was treated at Davis Hospital and released. Police were still interviewing him Wednesday night.
Hansen said the incident "appears to be related" to a similar shooting Tuesday on I-215. According to the Utah Highway Patrol, the male driver in a newer model blue Toyota Camry opened fire on a white pickup truck about 2:30 p.m.
The Camry was reported to have Texas license plates.
"We're working together with investigators from a couple different agencies in Salt Lake County to help them piece together (what happened)," Hansen said.
Police declined to release the man's identity Wednesday night.
"We know who he is, but until we book him (into jail), we won't release that name," Hansen said.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Canceled Utah race renews fears of shrinking...
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling on...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 145
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 85
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 75
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 56
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 42
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 34
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 34