Legacy Parkway, I-215 shootings likely related, police say
FARMINGTON — A man was injured Wednesday night following a shootout with police, the result of a high-speed chase and reports of shots being fired at a vehicle on Legacy Parkway.
Police say a 37-year-old Hispanic man driving a rental car with out-of-state license plates fired a gun at a white pickup truck about 5:30 p.m. on Legacy Parkway. The vehicles then exited the highway at Park Lane.
Police pursued the car at high speeds through Farmington, eventually exchanging fire with the man near 650 West and State Street. The man sustained "superficial" injuries in the incident, but wasn't hit by gunfire, Farmington Police Chief Wayne Hansen said.
Neither police nor the occupant of the pickup were injured, he said.
"Our officers returned fire after they were fired on," Hansen said.
The man was treated at Davis Hospital and released. Police were still interviewing him Wednesday night.
Hansen said the incident "appears to be related" to a similar shooting Tuesday on I-215. According to the Utah Highway Patrol, the male driver in a newer model blue Toyota Camry opened fire on a white pickup truck about 2:30 p.m.
The Camry was reported to have Texas license plates.
"We're working together with investigators from a couple different agencies in Salt Lake County to help them piece together (what happened)," Hansen said.
Police declined to release the man's identity Wednesday night.
"We know who he is, but until we book him (into jail), we won't release that name," Hansen said.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- What to do after the presents are opened?...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 123
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 12
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9