Legacy Parkway, I-215 shootings likely related, police say
FARMINGTON — A man was injured Wednesday night following a shootout with police, the result of a high-speed chase and reports of shots being fired at a vehicle on Legacy Parkway.
Police say a 37-year-old Hispanic man driving a rental car with out-of-state license plates fired a gun at a white pickup truck about 5:30 p.m. on Legacy Parkway. The vehicles then exited the highway at Park Lane.
Police pursued the car at high speeds through Farmington, eventually exchanging fire with the man near 650 West and State Street. The man sustained "superficial" injuries in the incident, but wasn't hit by gunfire, Farmington Police Chief Wayne Hansen said.
Neither police nor the occupant of the pickup were injured, he said.
"Our officers returned fire after they were fired on," Hansen said.
The man was treated at Davis Hospital and released. Police were still interviewing him Wednesday night.
Hansen said the incident "appears to be related" to a similar shooting Tuesday on I-215. According to the Utah Highway Patrol, the male driver in a newer model blue Toyota Camry opened fire on a white pickup truck about 2:30 p.m.
The Camry was reported to have Texas license plates.
"We're working together with investigators from a couple different agencies in Salt Lake County to help them piece together (what happened)," Hansen said.
Police declined to release the man's identity Wednesday night.
"We know who he is, but until we book him (into jail), we won't release that name," Hansen said.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- After tragedy, couple uses genetic screening...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 75
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 11
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8
- Kennecott hopes project will change... 7