National GOP already targeting Rep. Jim Matheson for 2014
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — National Republicans have already painted a bull's-eye on Democratic Rep. Jim Matheson's back for the 2014 election.
The National Republican Congressional Committee identified the seven-term congressman as one of seven "vulnerable" Democrats it intends to go after. Those districts voted Republican in the last three presidential elections.
Those Democrats all share something in common: They do not fit their districts, according to NRCC Executive Director Liesl Hickey.
"The NRCC will amplify its efforts to educate voters about these mismatches and provide strong alternatives," Hickey wrote. "If the Democrats lose these districts, they are likely to be lost for a generation."
Matheson labeled his appearance on the NRCC list "the biggest non-news story of the day."
"I'm not surprised," he said, "but they don't know Utah. And quite frankly, while I have to work hard, I actually approach future elections with a lot of confidence because I think I faced the 'perfect storm' in this last election."
Not only was Matheson running in the state's new 4th District with GOP presidential candidate and Utah favorite Mitt Romney at the top of the ballot, he also faced a well-funded opponent in Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love, who had strong backing from the national party.
"I won anyway. I don't think that perfect storm will ever play itself out like that again," said Matheson, whose margin of victory was 768 votes. "I have confidence if I work hard and serve (my constituents) well, then the politics will take care of themselves."
Contributing: Lisa Riley Roche
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- 3 South Jordan siblings battling rare disease...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Provo ranked 4th most educated city in...
- Love says commenting on Saratoga Springs...
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls officer...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 68
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Police break silence about... 49
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 24
- New definition of homeless would give... 20
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18