"These types of restrictive laws really don't affect the bad guy. It only affects the good guys. The bad guys are going to get whatever they want," Oda said. "I can guarantee you people are not going to abide by federal mandates like that."
State Rep. Brian Greene, R-Pleasant Grove, said he is having a bill drafted for the 2013 Legislature to spell out the state has the sole authority to regulate gun ownership and federal agents who interfere with that authority can be arrested.
Greene said he came up with the idea after the Connecticut shootings sparked new talk of gun control legislation in Congress. He said he modeled portions of the bill on Wyoming legislation.
"The federal government is just approaching gun control in the same old way, with their blanket, one-size-fits-all solutions that trample on the sovereignty of the states," Greene said. "Why should so-called assault weapons be banned in Utah when we don't have a problem with them?"
Clark Aposhian, chairman of the Utah Shooting Sports Council, said he is working with other organizations and state lawmakers to improve the reporting of mental health issues during background checks for gun ownership.
Aposhian said he believes the president's proposals are just a first step.
"I'm going to tell you right now, this isn't going to reduce crime," he said. "So they'll try more and more until they come after grandpa's side-by-side shotgun."
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G. Mark...
- Powell family fires back at recent court...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Windstorm topples trees, trucks, power poles...
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- U. student government passes resolution... 101
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 59
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 46
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 27
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 20
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G.... 20