BYU track: 2013 BYU women's track and field top recruiting class & veterans prepare for season
PROVO, Utah — A recruiting class ranked No. 10 in the nation by Track and Field News joins many strong athletes for the women’s track and field team in 2013.
“We lost some great athletes to graduation, National Champions even,” head coach Patrick Shane said of his squad, which lost multiple All-Americans. “But we kept and gained some great athletes as well. To have our recruiting class ranked No. 10 by Track and Field News is quite an accomplishment given the hundreds of teams there are across the country.”
BYU’s 2013 recruiting class received the No. 10 ranking based on multiple factors, including how likely each individual is to make an immediate impact for her team at the collegiate level. The rankings “take into consideration new high school pickups and both JC and 4-year transfers” (Track and Field News, Vol. 66, No.1).
Of BYU’s 12 recruits highlighted by Track and Field News, two are transfers and 10 are recent high school graduates.
Erica Birk, Freshman, North Summit High School
1600m 4:52.71 (A)
Kelsey Brown, Junior, University of Oklahoma
Erica Reddish, Freshman, Vista Murrieta High School
Natalie Shields, Freshman, East High School
1600m 4:52.72 (A)
Ashleigh Warner, Freshman, Mountain View High School
1600m 4:51.82 (A)
Danica Wyson, Freshman, Aliso Niguel High School
Kaylee Packham, Freshman, Loveland High School
Brie Simmons, Freshman, Del Oro High School
Melissa Merrill, Freshman, Hanford High School
High Jump 1.76m (5-8)
Shea Taylor, Freshman, Grace M. Davis High School
Long Jump 5.78m (18-9 3/4)
Triple Jump 11.72 (38-5 3/4)
Anginae Monteverde, Sophomore, University of Oregon
Pole Vault 4.11m (13-5 3/4)
Taylor Barrus, Freshman, Skyview High School
Javelin 45.93m (150-7)
Mackie, who won the 2012 indoor and outdoor National Championship in the 800 meters, is just the second BYU women’s track athlete to win two titles in the same event in the same year. She sits atop the BYU all-time indoor record board in the 800, the 4x800-meter relay and the distance medley relay. She also ranks fifth in the outdoor 400, second in the 800 and first in the 4x400 relay.
- Best of the West: Arizona back to top seed...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU matchup...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the tournament?;...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 44
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 42
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 39
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 31