Laura Seitz, Deseret News
PROVO — BYU moved closer to completing its new offensive coaching staff Wednesday when coach Bronco Mendenhall announced the hiring of former Cougar receiver Aaron Roderick.
For the past eight seasons, Roderick has coached at the University of Utah in various capacities.
“Aaron has excellent coaching experience and is a man of character and faith,” Mendenhall said. “He is a great recruiter, outstanding position coach, fantastic teacher, master strategist and tireless worker. It’s great to have Aaron back at BYU.”
Roderick, who played for the Cougars in 1997-98, returns to his alma mater having spent 14 years in the coaching ranks.
At Utah, Roderick was the receivers coach, co-offensive coordinator and, most recently, passing game coordinator.
On Jan. 4, BYU re-hired Robert Anae as its offensive coordinator. Mark Atuaia and Garett Tujague were hired Tuesday.
Position assignments will be announced once the entire coaching staff is finalized.
"I'm looking forward to the chance to work at BYU and return to my alma mater," Roderick said. "I'm excited for the opportunity to work with (offensive coordinator) Robert Anae, who I played for when I was at Ricks College. I've always had great respect for Robert."
During his coaching career, Roderick has coached receivers, quarterbacks, running backs and linebackers. Prior to being hired at Utah, Roderick served as offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator from 2003-04 at Southern Utah.
At Utah, Roderick coached a number of successful receivers, including David Reed, Brent Casteel, Freddie Brown, Jereme Brooks and Travis LaTendresse. As the Utes' co-coordinator in 2010, Utah finished No. 23 in scoring offense, averaging 33.1 points per game.
A Bountiful native, Roderick starred at Bountiful High before moving on to Ricks College, where he shattered the school's single-season punt and kick return records.
Roderick transferred to BYU, where he averaged 15.7 yards per catch for 393 yards and four touchdowns in 1997-98. He also gained 308 yards as a punt return specialist. Roderick redshirted on BYU's 14-1 team that won the Cotton Bowl and finished No. 5 in the country.
Roderick is married to former BYU soccer player Laurel Simpson, and the couple are the parents of two children, Rachel and Quin.
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Quinton Pedroza dismissed from Utah Utes...
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv, not...
- Brad Rock: If the NFL could add a team in...
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and Cecil O....
- More than just football: Alema Te'o promotes...
- Utah Jazz: Possible Jazz draftee Michael...
- Utah Jazz hire Jerry Sloan in a senior...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 186
- High school football: Reigning Mr.... 72
- Quinton Pedroza dismissed from Utah... 46
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and... 37
- Utes basketball: Utah conducting... 35
- Ryan Teeples: BYU sports is for BYUtv,... 20
- Brad Rock: USU coach Matt Wells has... 11
- University of Utah 'restructures'... 11