USU track: Aggies open 2013 season at New Mexico's Cherry & Silver Invitational this weekend
Utah State's men and women's track and field teams will open the 2013 season in Albuquerque, N.M., at the Cherry & Silver Invitational hosted by New Mexico at the Albuquerque Convention Center on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 18-19.
This is the first of three trips to the Albuquerque Convention Center for the Aggies this season, as they will also return for the Don Kirby Elite Invitational on Feb. 8-9 and again for the 2013 Western Athletic Conference Indoor Championships on Feb. 21-23.
Events will begin Friday at 4 p.m. (MT) with the men's pole vault and women's weight throw, with the men and women's 3,000m races concluding the day's events at 8:15 and 8:30 p.m., respectively. Saturday's action will begin at 9 a.m. with the women's long jump and end with the women's 4x400m relay at 4:25 p.m. All times are tentative and subject to change.
In 2012, the USU women swept the Western Athletic Conference titles marking the first time since 1994 the Aggie women won both the indoor and outdoor conference titles as they won the Mountain Sports Pacific Federation indoor title and the Big West outdoor title. The 2012 titles were also the first WAC indoor and outdoor titles for the Utah State women. The USU men finished second at both the indoor and outdoor WAC Championships in 2012.
"We've been practicing for a little while and normally we have a meet before now, but we chose not to this year so we could train the younger athletes a little longer," USU coach Gregg Gensel said. "The veterans are chomping at the bits and I think the freshmen and new athletes have settled in a little bit and maybe feel like their feet have hit the ground now that we are going into the second week of training after the break. We're all very excited to compete. I'm not expecting any great things, I just want to see them have success; so we will see what happens. We are not taking everybody, but we are taking a good solid group and it will be fun to get out there and put the pedal to the metal."
Live results will be available for fans to follow the meet at www.liverunningresults.com. Utah State's results, along with a recap of the day's events will be posted to the Track & Field page on the USU website at the conclusion of the meet.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Reports: Jackson Vroman found dead
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 49
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 42
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 27
- Upstill: Does Trey Lyles have what it... 16
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline... 12
- Utah State wide receiver/kick returner... 10