Jason Olson, Deseret News
For Dave Rose, memorable victories and unforgettable seasons have been in abundance since he took over as the BYU men's basketball coach prior to the 2005-06 season.
He'll get his first crack at another accolade-worthy win Wednesday night when the Cougars host St. Mary's, with Rose one victory away from his 200th at BYU.
In Rose's tenure so far, the Cougars have won 20 or more games every season. Twice, BYU set a record for wins in a season, with the current mark now sitting at 32. The Cougars have made six straight NCAA Tournament appearances, and are in the hunt to make a seventh this season.
Heading into this year, Rose sat at fourth among active coaches in career winning percentage, behind only three men — North Carolina's Roy Williams, Gonzaga's Mark Few (a fellow West Coast Conference coach) and Kentucky's John Calipari — and ahead of a host of others, impressively including coaches like Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and Ohio State's Thad Matta.
In Rose's first 199 victories at BYU, there have been plenty of highlights. They include a run to the Sweet 16, a victory over then-No. 6 Louisville, setting the mark for the biggest comeback in an NCAA Tournament game, and establishing a new record for consecutive Cougar victories at the Marriott Center.
Simply put, Rose is a winner. And with one more victory, he will reach another milestone.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26