Dick Harmon: BYU football brass must try to make Ty Detmer part of Cougars' rebuilt offensive staff
Detmer might be one of the school’s most-beloved players of all time. Imagine him as a recruiter on a home visit, pairing up with Mendenhall, total opposites on the personality spectrum. Bronco is serious in public; Detmer is a prankster and teaser in private and it can creep into his public repertoire in the style of the deadpanning LaVell Edwards.
You’d wonder if Mendenhall would want to hire a coach who might need to be recruited. He likes his assistants eager, hungry and like bridesmaids who scream down the isle shouting, “Marry me, marry me!” Thing is, Detmer’s lifestyle is where Mendenhall wants to be, and he’s said he wants that sooner than later. Mendenhall understands how protective Detmer is of this because Detmer is living Mendenhall’s ultimate goal.
On the other hand, Mendenhall, I believe, has given Anae total control over who he assembles to coach BYU’s offense.
So, where does it all stand?
In my opinion, Doman will not be on the coaching staff and BYU will leave no stone unturned in pursuit of his replacement as QB coach. That includes trying to lure Detmer to the negotiating table and having a serious talk with him before making a final decision on Peterson, Hall or whomever else Mendenhall/Anae have or will interview.
I say, that is under way.
In mounting a serious inquiry to Detmer, Anae, Mendenhall and athletic director Tom Holmoe can then report to deep-pocketed boosters, alumni, staff, administration and the BYU Board of Trustees that they truly did due diligence in the matter of rebuilding the Cougars' offense.
Getting Detmer may be futile, however. He's very happy now.
It appears that was the game plan since the team flew out of San Diego on the theme "organizations are perfectly designed to get the results they do." That night, BYU’s defensive touchdowns won the game.
How big of a wow factor have we witnessed so far? I'd say it's been about a 7 on a scale of 10 with Anae and his first two hires. Now that he's added Aaron Roderick from Utah on Wednesday, I'll raise that to 8 or 9, and things are not finished. If Detmer comes onboard it is a 10.
Detmer will be in the presence of all kinds of BYU people Friday in Houston where LaVell Edwards will be given the Bear Bryant Award. Gifford Nielsen, maybe Marc Wilson, John Beck and other BYU greats, including BYU athletic brass will be there.
They might put a rush on Detmer, but he's pretty elusive.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU earns NCAA at-large bid; will face Oregon...
- Breaking down the field: A look at the 68...
- Jimmer Fredette thinks Bulls give him ideal...
- BYU's NCAA tournament fate: 'Anything could...
- BYU's No. 10 seed surprises national media
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Kyle Collinsworth already...
- Utes headed to NIT game at Saint Mary's
- Brad Rock: Weber State's NCAA bid makes Rahe...
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost... 114
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 89
- BYU earns NCAA at-large bid; will face... 80
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in... 75
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 44
- Utes headed to NIT game at Saint Mary's 31
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes advance... 30
- Bubble watch: BYU playing the waiting game 20