USU basketball: women's team returns home to face New Mexico State on Thursday
Utah State women’s basketball (6-10, 3-2 WAC) returns home after a three-game road trip and hosts New Mexico State (9-7, 3-3 WAC) on Thursday, Jan. 17 at 7 p.m.
Utah State will conclude the brief homestand against Denver on Saturday, Jan. 19 at 7 p.m. The Aggies concluded their road trip with a 1-2 record with a win against Idaho and losses to Seattle and San Jose State. Utah State will now play five of the next seven in the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.
Utah State holds a 9-6 series lead since both teams joined the WAC for the 2005-06 season. New Mexico State leads the series 18-15. USU has won four-straight games against the crimson Aggies, dating back to 2010-11. Utah State is 1-0 against NMSU in the WAC Tournament.
The Aggies are 9-7 overall this season and 3-3 in league games this season. New Mexico State has lost its last two games at home against Seattle and Idaho. The Aggies have WAC wins against Louisiana Tech, UTSA and Texas State.
New Mexico State has two players averaging in double figures led by Stefanie Gilbreath, who scores 15.3 points and brings down 6.1 rebounds per game. Danesia Williamson is second on the team in scoring with 12.9 ppg. The crimson Aggies score 57.9 ppg, while allowing 59.4 ppg.
In the most recent NCAA statistics release, senior guard Devyn Christensen is 14th in points per game (20.6 ppg). Christensen fell to fifth in the nation in free throw percentage (91.7 percent) and seventh in three-pointers made (3.25). Senior guard Jenna Johnson is up to 14th in the country in steals per game (3.50 spg) after having seven steals against San Jose State on Jan. 12.
Utah State's women's basketball tickets are available through USU's website or by calling the ticket office toll free at 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 32
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 17
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 16