DSC basketball: Dixie State relieves Kristensen of duties, Dawes named interim coach
ST. GEORGE, Utah — Dixie State College announced late Monday the dismissal of Angela Kristensen as head women’s basketball coach, effective immediately.
Derek Dawes, the director of annual giving and community engagement, will serve as interim coach for the rest of the season. Assistant coaches Kawika Stant and Sheila Adams will remain on the staff.
“Obviously the timing of this is not ideal in the middle of the season,” Jason Boothe, DSC director of athletics, said. “However, to protect the program and the institution, we were forced to make this very difficult decision.”
Boothe referenced repeated violations of department policy, that if ignored would have left the program and institution susceptible to NCAA sanctions, as basis for the decision.
In six-plus years, Kristensen compiled a 115-61 record at the helm of the Red Storm. She led the program to its first ever NCAA postseason appearance in 2010, ending the year with a 24-4 overall record.
Dawes is in his third year as the director of annual giving at Dixie State College. He facilitates the running of the Dixie State Athletic Alliance booster club and is the faculty advisor for the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
Originally from Salt Lake City, Dawes graduated from Gonzaga University in 2010 with his Master of Arts degree in Sport and Athletic Administration. He received the 2010 Jeanne Foster Wardian Leadership Award while at Gonzaga.
Prior to Gonzaga, Dawes graduated from Brigham Young University in 2007 with a Bachelors degree in Public Health Education and a minor in Communications. He was a member of the Cougar basketball team from 2000-2001, 2003-2007.
Dawes will be on the bench this Saturday when the Red Storm (7-8, 5-2 PacWest) host the Lancers of California Baptist in the Burns Arena at 5 p.m.
John Potter is the "Voice of the Red Storm" and an athletic media relation assistant at Dixie State College. Contact him at Potter@dixie.edu.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Deseret News Classic Marathon: Van de Camp,...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26