DSC basketball: Dixie State relieves Kristensen of duties, Dawes named interim coach
ST. GEORGE, Utah — Dixie State College announced late Monday the dismissal of Angela Kristensen as head women’s basketball coach, effective immediately.
Derek Dawes, the director of annual giving and community engagement, will serve as interim coach for the rest of the season. Assistant coaches Kawika Stant and Sheila Adams will remain on the staff.
“Obviously the timing of this is not ideal in the middle of the season,” Jason Boothe, DSC director of athletics, said. “However, to protect the program and the institution, we were forced to make this very difficult decision.”
Boothe referenced repeated violations of department policy, that if ignored would have left the program and institution susceptible to NCAA sanctions, as basis for the decision.
In six-plus years, Kristensen compiled a 115-61 record at the helm of the Red Storm. She led the program to its first ever NCAA postseason appearance in 2010, ending the year with a 24-4 overall record.
Dawes is in his third year as the director of annual giving at Dixie State College. He facilitates the running of the Dixie State Athletic Alliance booster club and is the faculty advisor for the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
Originally from Salt Lake City, Dawes graduated from Gonzaga University in 2010 with his Master of Arts degree in Sport and Athletic Administration. He received the 2010 Jeanne Foster Wardian Leadership Award while at Gonzaga.
Prior to Gonzaga, Dawes graduated from Brigham Young University in 2007 with a Bachelors degree in Public Health Education and a minor in Communications. He was a member of the Cougar basketball team from 2000-2001, 2003-2007.
Dawes will be on the bench this Saturday when the Red Storm (7-8, 5-2 PacWest) host the Lancers of California Baptist in the Burns Arena at 5 p.m.
John Potter is the "Voice of the Red Storm" and an athletic media relation assistant at Dixie State College. Contact him at Potter@dixie.edu.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 66
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 20