DSC basketball: Dixie State relieves Kristensen of duties, Dawes named interim coach
ST. GEORGE, Utah — Dixie State College announced late Monday the dismissal of Angela Kristensen as head women’s basketball coach, effective immediately.
Derek Dawes, the director of annual giving and community engagement, will serve as interim coach for the rest of the season. Assistant coaches Kawika Stant and Sheila Adams will remain on the staff.
“Obviously the timing of this is not ideal in the middle of the season,” Jason Boothe, DSC director of athletics, said. “However, to protect the program and the institution, we were forced to make this very difficult decision.”
Boothe referenced repeated violations of department policy, that if ignored would have left the program and institution susceptible to NCAA sanctions, as basis for the decision.
In six-plus years, Kristensen compiled a 115-61 record at the helm of the Red Storm. She led the program to its first ever NCAA postseason appearance in 2010, ending the year with a 24-4 overall record.
Dawes is in his third year as the director of annual giving at Dixie State College. He facilitates the running of the Dixie State Athletic Alliance booster club and is the faculty advisor for the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
Originally from Salt Lake City, Dawes graduated from Gonzaga University in 2010 with his Master of Arts degree in Sport and Athletic Administration. He received the 2010 Jeanne Foster Wardian Leadership Award while at Gonzaga.
Prior to Gonzaga, Dawes graduated from Brigham Young University in 2007 with a Bachelors degree in Public Health Education and a minor in Communications. He was a member of the Cougar basketball team from 2000-2001, 2003-2007.
Dawes will be on the bench this Saturday when the Red Storm (7-8, 5-2 PacWest) host the Lancers of California Baptist in the Burns Arena at 5 p.m.
John Potter is the "Voice of the Red Storm" and an athletic media relation assistant at Dixie State College. Contact him at Potter@dixie.edu.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 101
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 82
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 51
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill... 37