Police say driver fleeing West Jordan accident causes second crash
WEST JORDAN — A man has been hospitalized and is facing arrest after triggering two accidents on Redwood Road and attempting to flee the scene on foot, police said.
Tyler Jones, 30, of Taylorsville, was hospitalized with injuries Tuesday and faces investigation for running a red light, having improper plates on the vehicle he was driving, driving without insurance, driving on a suspended license, driving under the influence and fleeing the scene.
West Jordan Police Sgt. Rich Bell said a lifted Ford F-350 initially was involved in a crash near 7800 South and Redwood Road, then sped off headed north on Redwood Road.
"According to witnesses, he was traveling at extremely high rates of speed," Bell said. "They're saying 80 or 90 mph."
Jones then ran a red light at 7000 South and Redwood Road and T-boned a car headed west through the intersection, Bell said. The passengers in that car had to be extricated from the vehicle, but injuries were not life-threatening.
Jones attempted to flee on foot but was apprehended by a West Jordan police officer and an off-duty officer, police said.
Andrew McEuen, who lives about a mile away from the scene of the accident, said he saw the lifted truck pass end-to-end over top of the small car. He and his wife were stopped at the light on Redwood Road when the accident unfolded in the intersection in front of them.
"When I saw it, (the truck) was coming off the vehicle, heading toward us," McEuen said. "It was a terrible accident, for sure."
Nearby cars were hit by flying glass and debris, he said.
McEuen said the driver of the truck looked confused and kept changing directions as he fled on foot.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- 10-year-old honored for saving little brother
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 84
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 25
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16