The Ng family says there are no coincidences, just tender mercies
“You don’t realize when you baptize a family what impact that will have on future generations until you meet back up with them and realize the number of people they have impacted,” Parker said. “It’s an amazing feeling.”
There was a time when Christensen considered not serving a mission. While his friends were all leaving on their missions, Christensen loved cars. He spent a year building a custom 1956 Pontiac that was “all decked out and painted Omaha orange.”
“I had a girlfriend, but I was in love with my car. But I had a bishop that set me on the right trail and I sold the car to go,” said the 67-year-old. “Was it worth it? Oh, yeah. It was worth selling the car because it (my mission) saved my life.”
Christensen, who enjoys eating at Ying Yang’s, was touched to learn that his and Parker’s arrival at the Turner home came as an answer to a mother’s prayer.
Seeing the Ng children serve missions and be active in the gospel has been just as meaningful, Christensen said.
Settling in Rexburg has also been significant for Ying Ng because he was able to renew ties with Cody Howard, a native of Rexburg and a close friend from his London South mission days. Ying, Howard and two companions were all in the same district and shared some memorable experiences. They also reconnected when Ng’s daughter came to Ricks College.
Now, Howard is the bishop in the Rexburg Young Single Adult 84th LDS ward, and Ying Ng is his first counselor.
Reuniting with Ying Ng reminded Howard of the joy felt by Alma when he found the sons of Mosiah were “still his brethren in the Lord” (Alma 17:2). “He is a great guy with a great testimony. To be able to work with him after all these years is phenomenal,” Howard said. “These tender mercies are what the Lord gives us as we try to live the gospel and do what’s right.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Elders Rasband, Stevenson, Renlund sustained...
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment...
- 3 new LDS apostles will be 98th, 99th, 100th...
- 3 new apostles to be called during LDS...
- 185th Semiannual General Conference talk...
- How to attend, watch or listen to October...
- President Dieter F. Uchtdorf: 'It works!'
- The sacred call of an apostle
- Defending the Faith: Did Joseph Smith... 35
- Unique LDS family doctrine still drives... 31
- 3 new LDS apostles will be 98th, 99th,... 25
- Clerk jailed over gay marriage says... 24
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Unique LDS temple, high-rise apartment... 15
- Church History Museum reopens after... 13
- Pope meeting with Kim Davis sparks... 13