“You don’t realize when you baptize a family what impact that will have on future generations until you meet back up with them and realize the number of people they have impacted,” Parker said. “It’s an amazing feeling.”
There was a time when Christensen considered not serving a mission. While his friends were all leaving on their missions, Christensen loved cars. He spent a year building a custom 1956 Pontiac that was “all decked out and painted Omaha orange.”
“I had a girlfriend, but I was in love with my car. But I had a bishop that set me on the right trail and I sold the car to go,” said the 67-year-old. “Was it worth it? Oh, yeah. It was worth selling the car because it (my mission) saved my life.”
Christensen, who enjoys eating at Ying Yang’s, was touched to learn that his and Parker’s arrival at the Turner home came as an answer to a mother’s prayer.
Seeing the Ng children serve missions and be active in the gospel has been just as meaningful, Christensen said.
Settling in Rexburg has also been significant for Ying Ng because he was able to renew ties with Cody Howard, a native of Rexburg and a close friend from his London South mission days. Ying, Howard and two companions were all in the same district and shared some memorable experiences. They also reconnected when Ng’s daughter came to Ricks College.
Now, Howard is the bishop in the Rexburg Young Single Adult 84th LDS ward, and Ying Ng is his first counselor.
Reuniting with Ying Ng reminded Howard of the joy felt by Alma when he found the sons of Mosiah were “still his brethren in the Lord” (Alma 17:2). “He is a great guy with a great testimony. To be able to work with him after all these years is phenomenal,” Howard said. “These tender mercies are what the Lord gives us as we try to live the gospel and do what’s right.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 21
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 18