Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after a big performance last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury Park, helped UVU remain unbeaten in conference play with a game-high 22 points and 13 rebounds in a 71-38 win over Chicago State on Saturday. Jensen shot 10-for-15 from the field and also added three assists, two steals and one block in the Wolverine win. The double-double gives her 13 for the season, which is good enough to rank her third in the nation. The forward currently leads the Great West in rebounding with 12.7 boards per game and is second in scoring with 17.6 ppg. Her 12.7 rpg average also ranks her fourth nationally.
The weekly conference honor is Jensen's sixth of the season and 11th of her career.
Others nominated were Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt, NJIT's Alyssa Albanese and Texas-Pan American's Jasmine Thompson.
Jensen and the Wolverines will look to extend their current three-game win streak Saturday afternoon against future WAC foe CSU Bakersfield in Bakersfield, Calif.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 122
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 26
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21