Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after a big performance last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury Park, helped UVU remain unbeaten in conference play with a game-high 22 points and 13 rebounds in a 71-38 win over Chicago State on Saturday. Jensen shot 10-for-15 from the field and also added three assists, two steals and one block in the Wolverine win. The double-double gives her 13 for the season, which is good enough to rank her third in the nation. The forward currently leads the Great West in rebounding with 12.7 boards per game and is second in scoring with 17.6 ppg. Her 12.7 rpg average also ranks her fourth nationally.
The weekly conference honor is Jensen's sixth of the season and 11th of her career.
Others nominated were Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt, NJIT's Alyssa Albanese and Texas-Pan American's Jasmine Thompson.
Jensen and the Wolverines will look to extend their current three-game win streak Saturday afternoon against future WAC foe CSU Bakersfield in Bakersfield, Calif.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 95
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 78
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 59
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 42