Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after a big performance last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury Park, helped UVU remain unbeaten in conference play with a game-high 22 points and 13 rebounds in a 71-38 win over Chicago State on Saturday. Jensen shot 10-for-15 from the field and also added three assists, two steals and one block in the Wolverine win. The double-double gives her 13 for the season, which is good enough to rank her third in the nation. The forward currently leads the Great West in rebounding with 12.7 boards per game and is second in scoring with 17.6 ppg. Her 12.7 rpg average also ranks her fourth nationally.
The weekly conference honor is Jensen's sixth of the season and 11th of her career.
Others nominated were Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt, NJIT's Alyssa Albanese and Texas-Pan American's Jasmine Thompson.
Jensen and the Wolverines will look to extend their current three-game win streak Saturday afternoon against future WAC foe CSU Bakersfield in Bakersfield, Calif.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU matchup...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- Photos: BYU welcomed by fans at Provo Airport
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 106
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 31
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 28
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 25