Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after a big performance last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury Park, helped UVU remain unbeaten in conference play with a game-high 22 points and 13 rebounds in a 71-38 win over Chicago State on Saturday. Jensen shot 10-for-15 from the field and also added three assists, two steals and one block in the Wolverine win. The double-double gives her 13 for the season, which is good enough to rank her third in the nation. The forward currently leads the Great West in rebounding with 12.7 boards per game and is second in scoring with 17.6 ppg. Her 12.7 rpg average also ranks her fourth nationally.
The weekly conference honor is Jensen's sixth of the season and 11th of her career.
Others nominated were Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt, NJIT's Alyssa Albanese and Texas-Pan American's Jasmine Thompson.
Jensen and the Wolverines will look to extend their current three-game win streak Saturday afternoon against future WAC foe CSU Bakersfield in Bakersfield, Calif.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Deseret News 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Where are...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- U. student government passes resolution... 105
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19