BYU gymnastics: Cougar gymnasts off to Texas Woman's Quad Meet
PROVO, Utah — After performing well in its home debut, the BYU women’s gymnastics team will be on the road Saturday for a contest at the Texas Woman’s Quad Meet in Denton, Tex.
“I’d like to see us compete in the meet like we do in practice,” head coach Brad Cattermole said. “Where we get in and we are not concerned about what is going on around us, we’re not concerned about the next event, we are concerned about what we are doing right then.”
Along with Texas Woman’s University, BYU will face off against No. 13 Arizona and Wisconsin-Whitewater in its first quad meet of the season. The Cougars have scored above 194 in two meets to start the season but will look to improve again and not worry about what competitors are doing.
“You get in a meet and things go a little bit faster. You don’t have total control of everything around you,” Cattermole said. “Things happen that don’t happen in practice and you have to deal with it. Those things happen, but if we can maintain our focus and not let ourselves get carried away in the things that are happening we’ll be okay.”
Sophomore Megan Bain helped the Cougars to a victory over Utah State in last week’s home opener, tying a career best with a 9.900 on beam and 9.825 on floor. BYU will need Bain and the rest of the team to step up their efforts to improve heading into another challenge this weekend.
“The person who’s up on that event they need to be concerned about doing it the way we do in practice,” Cattermole said. “If we can do that the rest of it will take care of itself.”
The meet begins at 6 p.m. MST from the Kitty Magee Arena in Denton, Tex. Check BYUcougars.com for results and scores from the meet.
Kenny is a BYU graduate, currently working as a football media relations assistant and gymnastics SID at BYU. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on twitter @KContheflipside
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 19