Recipe: Key substitutes make Mom's taco salad a healthy choice
My family loves to eat a unique version of taco salad for lunch or dinner. In an attempt to become healthier, my mother substituted ground turkey instead of beef and Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise in the ranch dressing.
These two ingredients alter the taste of the recipe only slightly, but they make the dish a lot healthier.
MOM'S TACO SALAD
1 pound ground turkey
1 package of taco seasoning
1 small head of iceberg lettuce
3 handfuls of lightly crushed tortilla chips
1 can (15 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cans (2 1/4 ounces each) sliced olives, drained
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 large carrots
Ranch dressing packet (follow directions on packet to make ranch, substituting Greek yogurt for mayonnaise)
Assemble the salad. Brown the ground turkey with the onion. Add the kidney beans and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain meat mixture. Add taco seasoning to mixture. Put dressing on salad. Add cheese. Crush chips in salad. Add meat mixture to salad. Mix all ingredients together.
Shelby Scoffield has a bachelor's in English from Brigham Young University and a master's in rhetoric and composition from Stanislaus State University. She is currently working on her teaching credentials so she can teach high school English.
- Chris Hicks: Modern comedies don’t have...
- The Clean Cut: Man brought to tears by...
- Stephanie Nielson wanted to not just survive,...
- Motherhood Matters: How my son's routine...
- Contractors' rendition of 'How Great Thou...
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal that...
- Little kids get more benefits when this...
- State says it will fund Planned Parenthood...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 67
- GOP: Planned Parenthood spends federal... 45
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Disney's 'Cinderella' deleted scene... 12
- 'Jesus the Christ' is 100 years old... 11
- Lawmakers discuss questionable politics... 8
- EPA sets limit for toxic pollutants... 7