Jail ordered for Capitol Hill man in stabbing death at his home
SALT LAKE CITY — One of two brothers charged in connection with the stabbing death of a man has been sentenced to jail, probation and home confinement.
Ammon Karr, 21, was sentenced to 195 days in jail for obstruction of justice, a third-degree felony, but he was given credit for the 160 days he has already served. He was also ordered to spend 90 days in home confinement. Third District Judge James Blanch also sentenced Karr to three years of probation, and ordered him to undergo counseling and perform 200 hours of community service.
Karr and his brother, Adam, 27, were both charged in connection with the July 31, 2012, stabbing of Kaleb Yazzie, 22.
Yazzie went to a party at the Karr brothers' home at 31 Girard Ave. and was told to leave by Ammon Karr. Yazzie later returned to get his liquor and the Karr brothers went outside and began fighting with him, according to charging documents.
On his way out of the house, Adam Karr allegedly told a nearby witness that he would stab Yazzie if he hit his brother.
During the fight, prosecutors say Adam Karr struck Yazzie several times in the chest with his knife. After being stabbed, Yazzie walked off the porch and collapsed on the ground. Stephen Thomason, 17, who was staying at the Karr residence, dragged Yazzie's body down the road to an alley, stomped on his head and left him in the alley.
The Karr brothers then changed their bloody clothes and put them in a bag, the charges state.
Ammon Karr pleaded guilty to the obstruction charge, which was reduced from a second-degree felony, in November. An additional charge of aggravated assault, also a third-degree felony, was dismissed.
Adam Karr is charged with murder, a first-degree felony, and obstructing justice, a second-degree felony, in Yazzie's death. A hearing on the evidence has been scheduled for March.
Thomason pleaded no contest in juvenile court to manslaughter. He will be under state jurisdiction until he is 21.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12