We all love Facebook, but do you really need 400 friends? Teach your kids to take it slow on Facebook. It is not a competition of who can have the most friends. They need to have good, meaningful friendships at school and on the Internet. This could also prevent cyber-bullying that is happening more often that we realize. Restrict your child's Facebook privacy settings. "Friends only" is key. Here is a link to a video tutorial on how to adjust the privacy settings: Facebook privacy settings.
Your children's Internet profiles will follow them the rest of their lives as they apply for college and jobs. Help your kids keep a clean and positive Internet profile.
Teach them great things on the Internet
Do you kids have a random question? Show them how to search for the best answer.
Do they like to write? Let them start a blog. You can set up the blog to restrict access to invited readers only.
Do they want to get more involved in a cause? Help them start a social group (twitter, Facebook, blog) to promote a worthy cause.
Do they like to be creative? Let them film a video and post it online. Vimeo is a great video sharing platform that has more restrictive features than YouTube.
Do they have a great idea? Research the idea on the Internet. See if anyone else has done it. Maybe let them start a small business and run with it.
As you can see, the Internet is a great vehicle to enrich your kids' lives. Just make sure your kids have fastened the seat belt and you are a close by as they learn how to drive.
Cathy Olsen is an IT security professional, mother of four and
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Would you rather get married earlier, or stay...
- The Clean Cut: 99-year-old woman sews nearly...
- Parenting advice that changed my life
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- Erin Stewart: Parents: Stop pushing your...
- Why 'The Giver' is more relevant than...
- Father of 4 Roger Federer gives...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Basic assumptions... 34
- How to eat on just $4 a day 16
- Here's what you can do to protect your... 14
- Hey moms: Your neighbor's religion... 11
- Pediatricians' Rx for schools: Later... 5
- Parenting advice that changed my life 4
- The Clean Cut: 99-year-old woman sews... 4