Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Lt. Gov. Greg Bell has appointed Mark Thomas to serve as his chief deputy. Thomas has been serving as director of elections since 2009.
Cody Stewart, who has served as Bell's chief of staff since September 2011, will now serve full time as the energy adviser to Gov. Gary Herbert.
As chief deputy, Thomas will oversee daily operations of the Lieutenant Governor’s Office and serve as Bell’s spokesman. He will advise Bell on policy issues and help promote the administration’s initiatives.
“As I begin my new term, I’m excited to have Mark by my side," Bell said.
Thomas will continue to serve in the role of director of elections, in which he focused on modernizing election and campaign finance websites, developing online voter and absentee registration, and updating antiquated election laws.
Thomas served as the office administrator during Herbert’s administration as lieutenant governor. He is the recipient of the 2012 Governor’s Award for Excellence for Innovation and Efficiency and serves as a member of the U.S. Election Assistance Commission’s Standards Board.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16