Utah Utes football: Utes have mostly wrapped up 'complete' 2013 recruiting class
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah has wrapped up most of its recruiting for 2013 and could sign over 30 prospects come Feb. 6. A total of 29 prospects have already pledged to coach Kyle Whittingham and his staff in what looks to be a solid and well-rounded class, according to recruiting experts. Utah has just one four-star commit, as evaluated by rivals.com, but has 21 three-star prospects, according to the same service.
"I really like this class and feel it's as complete of a class as coach Whittingham has signed," said utezone.com Senior Editor Dan Sorensen. "This year doesn't have as many four-star guys as last year and isn't as top heavy as other classes, but the players signed are solid top to bottom and at every position."
Utah isn't in the hunt for many of the four- and five-star prospects it was a year ago and that may be the result of an untypically down year for the program. The Utes weren't bowl eligible this past season for the first time since 2002, but remain confident they'll attract the type of talent to put them back on track.
The 2013 class looks particularly strong at the quarterback and wide receiver positions, according to Sorensen.
"I think we saw last year how important the quarterback position is and Utah has a couple of great quarterback prospects committed in this year's class," Sorensen says. "I also really like the wide receivers that are committed. There are a lot of playmakers with a lot of speed in the wide receiver group that I think fans can be very excited about."
The most immediate needs for 2013 are players who can contribute immediately along the defensive front and in the defensive backfield. Sorensen believes Utah will look to sign at least one more junior college defensive tackle in hopes of supplimenting the losses of Star Lotulelei, Joe Kruger and David Kruger.
Here's a position-by-position look at the Utes' 2013 recruiting class, starting with the quarterbacks.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16