BYU basketball: Cougars to retire jerseys of 2 former basketball players
PROVO — BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe announced Monday night that two former Cougar basketball stars, Mel Hutchins and Roland Minson, will have their numbers retired Feb. 16 when BYU hosts Portland.
Hutchins and Minson led the Cougars to the 1951 NIT championship.
"We've been waiting awhile to announce this," Holmoe said during BYUtv's weekly sports program, "True Blue." "These are two guys that a lot of our current Cougar Nation fans won't really know about. But when you go back in the annals of Cougar basketball, these guys deserve to be up in the rafters."
Hutchins, who wore No. 14, and Minson, who wore No. 11, will be just the third and fourth BYU players to receive the distinguished honor, along with Kresimir Cosic, who also wore No. 11, and Danny Ainge, who wore No. 22.
Current and future players cannot wear retired numbers.
The criteria to retire a jersey at BYU includes: All-America honors, recipient of a major national award, university graduate, minimum 15-year waiting period and significant accomplishments after graduation.
Hutchins averaged 15.4 points and set a single-season school record for rebounds (471). Nicknamed "The Big Elf," Hutchins grabbed 900 rebounds as a junior and senior and is fourth all-time in career rebounding at BYU.
Hutchins was named the 1952 NBA Rookie of the Year and led the league in rebounding (880) and rebounding average (13.3) that same season. A five-time NBA All-Star selection (1953, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1958), Hutchins led three NBA teams to Western Division titles. He concluded his NBA career with 4,851 points, 4,186 rebounds and 1,298 assists.
Minson, who was known as "The Cat" at BYU, set the Cougar single-season scoring record with 619 points, a record that stood for 27 years until it was broken by Ainge in 1978.
The New York Knicks picked Minson with the 16th pick of the first round of the 1952 NBA Draft. Instead of playing in the NBA, he served as an officer in the Navy during the Korean War.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 122
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 61
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29