RIVERTON — A Utah pilot killed in a plane crash in Texas will be laid to rest Friday.
Robert Thompson, 49, of Saratoga Springs, was killed about 8 a.m. Saturday when the Piper PA-46 he was flying crashed shortly after takeoff from a nearby airport.
Mike Endo, 51, and Michael Dale Bradley, 44, both of Salt Lake City, also died in the crash.
The Thompson family released a statement Monday saying he will be so deeply missed and lovingly remembered.
Thompson was a husband, father and grandfather. He was very devoted to his 13 children, the family said.
"He knew his children very well and was very involved with each child. We always knew that he loved us," according to the family statement. He was also the grandfather to five boys.
The family said Thompson was a true romantic. “He loved our mother," they said. "He often wrote her love letters.”
He had an unassuming character. "His personality was calm, quiet and observant," they said.
Thompson had 20 years of experience as a pilot, and flying never felt like a job for him, his family said.
The three men were on a business trip in a plane owned by Celtic Bank, headed to Austin. The Texas Public Safety Department said it was reportedly foggy and the plane attempted to turn back toward the airport before descending rapidly and crashing.
It could take a year to 18 months to determine the cause of the crash, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Behind the masks: Why some Utahns choose...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- 14-year-old boy is losing his sight but sees...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 34
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 23
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 16