RIVERTON — A Utah pilot killed in a plane crash in Texas will be laid to rest Friday.
Robert Thompson, 49, of Saratoga Springs, was killed about 8 a.m. Saturday when the Piper PA-46 he was flying crashed shortly after takeoff from a nearby airport.
Mike Endo, 51, and Michael Dale Bradley, 44, both of Salt Lake City, also died in the crash.
The Thompson family released a statement Monday saying he will be so deeply missed and lovingly remembered.
Thompson was a husband, father and grandfather. He was very devoted to his 13 children, the family said.
"He knew his children very well and was very involved with each child. We always knew that he loved us," according to the family statement. He was also the grandfather to five boys.
The family said Thompson was a true romantic. “He loved our mother," they said. "He often wrote her love letters.”
He had an unassuming character. "His personality was calm, quiet and observant," they said.
Thompson had 20 years of experience as a pilot, and flying never felt like a job for him, his family said.
The three men were on a business trip in a plane owned by Celtic Bank, headed to Austin. The Texas Public Safety Department said it was reportedly foggy and the plane attempted to turn back toward the airport before descending rapidly and crashing.
It could take a year to 18 months to determine the cause of the crash, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- LDS position on gay, religious rights may...
- Streamlined FanX event is a win for Salt Lake...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Logan woman paralyzed from the waist down to...
- Jackie Biskupski kicks off campaign for Salt...
- Hundreds of Utahns in 4 cities rally for...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 170
- Romney decision not to run again... 48
- LDS position on gay, religious rights... 46
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Rep. Chris Stewart says he's working on... 19
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud,... 18
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts... 17