New Attorney General John Swallow calls for investigation of claims against him
Others also calling for probe of allegations made by ex-multimillionaire
Along with his statement, Swallow released an affidavit Rawle signed Dec. 5, 2012, three days before he died of cancer. Rawle explained how he handled a nonrefundable $250,000 consulting fee he received — $50,000 from Johnson and $200,000 from Johnson's business associate Scott Leavitt.
Rawle, who formed a company called RMR Consulting, said he wired $100,000 to lobbyists, took $50,000 as his fee and kept the remainder in an account.
"It is my understanding that the professionals I engaged did make contact with the FTC and did make progress, but the work could not be done in time to delay the filing of the complaint," he wrote.
The FTC filed a civil complaint against Johnson in December 2010, alleging iWorks lured Internet consumers into "trial" memberships for bogus government grants and moneymaking schemes and then repeatedly charged their credit cards for programs they didn't sign up for, totaling nearly $300 million. Leavitt was also named in the complaint.
Federal authorities seized all of Johnson's assets, including aircraft, luxury cars, houses and gold.
Johnson has steadfastly proclaimed his innocence and refused to settle with the FTC.
Rawle said in the affidavit he held on to the remaining $100,000 of the consulting fee because he wasn't wasn't sure how to deal with it after iWorks was placed into receivership.
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- Woman forgives ex-boyfriend for shooting her,...
- Daylight saving time: Should it stay or...
- Report: Some Utah babies more at risk of...
- American Fork teen drowning victim identified
- Compost fire in South Salt Lake closes roads,...
- BYU students took cover in bomb shelter...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 62
- Same-sex marriage advocates to deliver... 44
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 44
- Rep. Chaffetz keeps Romney for... 41
- Mia Love labeled 'surefire winner' by... 34
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas... 26
- Officer who killed family had dark... 24
- Daylight saving time: Should it stay or... 22