Balancing act: A discussion on being Darth Vader, other dream jobs while finding workplace flexibility
"I can tell you, I work at a company that has a good work-life program, and it is really hard to shake," this commenter wrote. "While I could make much more somewhere else, giving up the freedom/benefits would be really hard to do."
Another reader posted a similar response.
"Flexibility is worth a lot," he wrote. "I can come and go as I need to. But it's taken years here to build up to that level of trust, that my employer trusts that, even though I might not be in the office, I'll get my work done. Too often people decide that salary is the main driver for employment, but flexibility should be a major consideration."
I completely agree with both of these commenters. Of course it's vital to make enough money to support yourself and your family. But if you can do that and have the flexibility to spend time with the people who are most important to you, it's worth a sacrifice of extra dollars.
Finally, a person commenting on a Facebook posting of last week's column wrote that she felt fortunate to have a husband who telecommutes from a home office.
"He rarely misses any of the kids' activities, unless he is traveling," she wrote. "Sometimes I forget how blessed I am that he is usually available to pick kids up, or take them to school, or run errands in the middle of the day, or take me on a lunch date. I admit I would complain a bit if he had to start working 'regular' hours."
That is a fortunate arrangement, and I'm sure your husband appreciates it, too.
I'd be interested to hear any other advice or stories you have to share regarding your efforts to build more balanced lives. Please send them my way, and I'll use some of them in future columns.
- Should cash be part of your emergency fund?
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for students
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays...
- Top 10 insurance myths that people think are...
- Should you install your own kitchen cabinets?
- How to take the scare out of the cost of...
- Today's must-read faith and family stories
- Most popular Halloween costumes
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays... 9
- Americans still prefer male bosses 8
- Landlords may be charging pet fees just... 7
- 9 things we routinely overpay for 6
- Employers and job seekers might as well... 5
- Pay raises are more rare despite strong... 4
- Facebook is now helping its female... 4
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the... 4