Dick Harmon: Former Utah State Amateur champion Joe Parkinson patiently getting his golf game back
This past week Parkinson fired rounds of 72-76 (par 73) at the St. George Golf Club Amateur. His two-over par 148 was one shot out of winnings. The week before, Parkinson fired rounds of 71 and 73 at the Coral Canyon Amateur in Washington for an even-par 36-hole score. Teammate All-American Zac Blair won both events.
Patience. Then comes confidence, the most valuable elixir in all sports.
Because he’s such a good guy, dedicated and patient, it is easy to pull for Parkinson to find that confidence ring all great players experience.
There’s no better example of how valuable that element is than Johnny Miller, father of one of Parkinson’s college coaches, Todd Miller.
A whole generation may not remember Johnny back in 1974 when he won eight PGA Tour events. For an encore in 1975, he won his first two tournaments by a combined 49 under par.
Miller found that elixir and rode it to the Hall of Fame.
After he won the Phoenix Open he told a reporter, “I’m hitting the ball so well, it’s almost a joke.” A fellow tour player heard that quote and said, “Miller is playing so well he makes the rest of us look like monkeys.”
After another low round in the 60s that year, Miller explained he was standing in the fairway 190 yards from the hole with a five-iron in his hand and was actually thinking about holing out the approach shot.
Confidence. It’s a product of practice and patience.
These are favors Parkinson has earned by keeping to tasks at hand and making priorities.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 185
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 79
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 49