Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
BYU's Tyler Haws was named the West Coast Conference's Player of the Week for the week on Monday.
Haws led BYU in scoring against Pepperdine at home last week, a game in which the Cougars trailed for much of the time. Propelled by Haws's 24 points, Brandon Davies's 19 points, and Matt Carlino's 13 points and four assists, the Cougars ran away from Pepperdine in the second half.
BYU also took their show on the road and scored a convincing win against Santa Clara, 82-64, a team with double-digit wins. In that matchup, Haws again scored 24 points on 10-of-14 shooting.
"It's a huge win for our group. We'd punch them and they'd punch us right back," Haws said of the game. The contest was tied until an 18-point run put the Cougars up 68-50 with roughly six minutes remaining.
Haws averaged 24 points while shooting .643 from the field, .400 from 3-point range and .909 from the line.
Haws was also named the conference player of the week on Dec. 31, 2012. For the season Haws is averaging 21.3 points, 5.1 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.4 steals. He is shooting .491 from the field, .422 from 3-point range and .915 from the free throw line.
Previously, Santa Clara took Duke to the wire, dropping a close contest in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
BYU takes on St. Mary's Wednesday night at 9 p.m.
Also nominated: Kevin Pangos, Gonzaga; Stephen Holt, Saint Mary's; Johnny Dee, San Diego
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45