SANDY — A Canyons School District principal has been named Utah's top middle school leader.
Union Middle School Principal Mary Anderson is the 2013 Utah Middle School Principal of the Year. The honor was announced on Wednesday by the Utah Association of Secondary School Principals and awarded to Anderson by State Superintendent of Public Instruction Martell Menlove.
Anderson, a former gymnastics coach, was selected for her outstanding leadership, educational innovations, and masterful use of data to improve student achievement, particularly for those who are struggling in reading and math, according to a press release.
Under her leadership, Union Middle School has established Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports framework and small intervention classes that focus on each student's specific needs.
"Mary deftly employs the use of data to inform her decisions … and to support effective problem solving on the part of her Building Leadership Team and the Professional Learning Communities at her school," said Hollie Pettersson, Canyons District director of Evidence-Based Learning in Secondary Schools, in nominating Anderson for the award.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Blunt force trauma caused S. Carolina woman's...
- Police: Woman found near Goshen died of...
- Man dies after allegedly ignoring police and...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 85
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9