SANDY — A Canyons School District principal has been named Utah's top middle school leader.
Union Middle School Principal Mary Anderson is the 2013 Utah Middle School Principal of the Year. The honor was announced on Wednesday by the Utah Association of Secondary School Principals and awarded to Anderson by State Superintendent of Public Instruction Martell Menlove.
Anderson, a former gymnastics coach, was selected for her outstanding leadership, educational innovations, and masterful use of data to improve student achievement, particularly for those who are struggling in reading and math, according to a press release.
Under her leadership, Union Middle School has established Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports framework and small intervention classes that focus on each student's specific needs.
"Mary deftly employs the use of data to inform her decisions … and to support effective problem solving on the part of her Building Leadership Team and the Professional Learning Communities at her school," said Hollie Pettersson, Canyons District director of Evidence-Based Learning in Secondary Schools, in nominating Anderson for the award.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Man wanted for questioning in Tooele fire...
- Utah officials find no pesticide violation...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 33
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 28
- Rep. Mia Love buying $1M in TV ads for... 14
- Giant algal bloom likely to fuel Utah... 10
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8