Utah Jazz notebook: Pistons groan after getting roughed up by Jazz's 'instigator culture'
This is a common pattern for this team over the course of the first half of the 2012-13 season.
The Jazz have fallen behind by 10 or more points only to come back and win an NBA-high 10 times this season.
But Utah has trailed by double-digit deficits in 24 of 39 games so far, losing 14 times in those relaxing situations.
"Forty-eight minutes is the key," Jazz guard Randy Foye said. "We're still a team, just growing. We're trying to get better every single day. But the main thing is just understanding and learning from your mistakes. And I think from last night (Friday) to tonight (Saturday), we learned from our mistakes."
Foye admitted the Jazz "made some mistake" in the late-game collapse in Detroit in which Utah had four turnovers in the final two minutes, including three by him. They also got complacent in their offense and missed a couple of late free throws.
"We'll take the win," he said, "and we'll learn from the mistakes with the win."
LET ME PLAY: When the third quarter ended Saturday, Jazz center Al Jefferson rushed over to Corbin to plead with his coach. He'd just scored 10 points in the period, leading Utah to a four-point lead after previously trailing by 15, and he didn't want to head to the bench to start the fourth.
"I told him, 'We've got to win this game. I'm good. I'm good. Let me stay in,'" Jefferson explained. "He agreed with me. Even when he took me out in the middle of the fourth I didn't want to come out, but I knew I needed to."
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 22