Utah Jazz notebook: Pistons groan after getting roughed up by Jazz's 'instigator culture'
This is a common pattern for this team over the course of the first half of the 2012-13 season.
The Jazz have fallen behind by 10 or more points only to come back and win an NBA-high 10 times this season.
But Utah has trailed by double-digit deficits in 24 of 39 games so far, losing 14 times in those relaxing situations.
"Forty-eight minutes is the key," Jazz guard Randy Foye said. "We're still a team, just growing. We're trying to get better every single day. But the main thing is just understanding and learning from your mistakes. And I think from last night (Friday) to tonight (Saturday), we learned from our mistakes."
Foye admitted the Jazz "made some mistake" in the late-game collapse in Detroit in which Utah had four turnovers in the final two minutes, including three by him. They also got complacent in their offense and missed a couple of late free throws.
"We'll take the win," he said, "and we'll learn from the mistakes with the win."
LET ME PLAY: When the third quarter ended Saturday, Jazz center Al Jefferson rushed over to Corbin to plead with his coach. He'd just scored 10 points in the period, leading Utah to a four-point lead after previously trailing by 15, and he didn't want to head to the bench to start the fourth.
"I told him, 'We've got to win this game. I'm good. I'm good. Let me stay in,'" Jefferson explained. "He agreed with me. Even when he took me out in the middle of the fourth I didn't want to come out, but I knew I needed to."
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Local flavor in the NBA: Lillard continues to...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 38
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21