Utah Jazz shake off 'sick feeling' to rally past Detroit Pistons, 90-87
Unfortunately, with this team that has been all over the map lately — both in location and with the way it plays — that style of Jazz basketball included a late-game collapse.
Foye had three turnovers and Burks had another in the final 2:12, and the Pistons fired off a 12-2 game-ending run and gave themselves a chance to extend this one.
"Our main thing we kept saying to each other in the huddle," Foye said, "was, 'Just finish. Let's finish in time. Let's finish.'"
They did, but just barely.
Detroit had an opportunity to send the game into overtime, but DeMarre Carroll was all over Brandon Knight as he put up a 3-pointer from 26 feet out that only traveled about 21 feet.
Clean defense by Carroll?
"Yeah," Corbin said. "Did they call it?"
The Jazz coach couldn't have been more satisfied — or relieved — of how his players bounced back from their Atlanta heartbreaker, then recovered from their miserable 39-point first half and then, well, simply survived to win for an NBA-high 10th time after trailing by double digits.
"This team has shown a lot of resilience all year," Corbin said. "It's a proud group."
The Jazz jumped above .500 again at 20-19 while improving to 9-15 on the road, where they've played more games than anybody else in the league.
Then again, their home schedule ahead of them doesn't look any easier for now. The Jazz return from this 2-1 road trip to take on the NBA champion Miami Heat at ESA on Monday.
NOTES: Jamaal Tinsley was sick and did not play the second half after a quiet six scoreless minutes in the first half. The Jazz fell behind 26-13 after the end of the first period, marking their lowest-scoring first quarter of the season. They only had 15 at Washington in November. Burks finished with 12 points in 25 minutes after only playing seven in Friday's loss.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39