Man arrested in DUI case after allegedly hitting trooper
SALT LAKE CITY — A Louisiana man was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence Saturday after allegedly leading officers on a chase and sideswiping a police vehicle.
Kurt Patrick Terrebonne, 47, was arrested around 4:30 p.m. after a PIT maneuver caused him to spin out on I-15, Utah Department of Public Safety spokesman Joe Dougherty said.
Troopers were first alerted by a Provo police officer that a northbound pickup truck in Utah County was driving unsafely. The officer tried to initiate a traffic stop, but the driver ignored him. A UHP trooper joined the pursuit when it arrived in Salt Lake County and also tried to pull the truck over near 9000 South.
Terrebonne "failed to yield, but didn't attempt to speed away," Dougherty said. The truck was traveling at highway speeds and the trooper continued to follow while waiting for additional support.
Around 2100 South, the trooper again tried to initiate a traffic stop, but the driver again ignored the officer. Two other troopers tried to slow the vehicle to allow the first trooper to drive ahead and set up spikes near 400 South, but the driver apparently noticed the spikes and swerved to a lane occupied by another trooper.
Dougherty said Terrebonne sideswiped the trooper's vehicle, damaging the door and panel on the driver's side. As the two vehicles were in contact, the trooper who had been hit initiated a PIT maneuver, prompting Terrebonne to spin out of control.
Dougherty said Terrebonne was also arrested for three outstanding warrants.
- Sen. Mike Lee 'flattered' but not interested...
- Senator makes good on wager from BYU-Nebraska...
- Poll shows Becker, Biskupski locked in tight...
- Gov. Herbert: Medicaid expansion efforts...
- School trust lands, conservation group join...
- Armed man arrested at Huntington Power Plant
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Pleasant Grove man pleads no contest to death...
- State responds to Planned Parenthood... 73
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 41
- Utah's plan for Medicaid expansion is... 29
- Women leaders in Utah forging their own... 18
- Gov. Herbert: Medicaid expansion... 16
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't... 15
- Sen. Mike Lee 'flattered' but not... 15
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor... 14