BYU basketball: Big run lifts Cougars to 82-64 win over Santa Clara
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — One minute, it looked like Santa Clara might make its home game against BYU on Saturday a close contest.
The next minute, those hopes faded.
The Cougars used an 18-0 run over a seven-minute span in the middle of the second half to secure an 82-64 victory over the Broncos. Six different BYU players scored during the run, led by six points from Tyler Haws.
Haws paced the Cougar offense, scoring 24 points on 10-of-14 shooting from the field. He added five rebounds and three steals.
Santa Clara overcame a 41-32 halftime deficit, outscoring the Cougars 12-4 in the first four minutes of the second half to narrow the gap to one point. With 13:37 remaining, a Kevin Foster free throw tied the game at 50-50.
But BYU (14-4, 4-0 West Coast Conference) took over the game from there, holding Santa Clara without a field goal for 7:56, until a Marc Trasolini layup with 6:33 remaining ended the Broncos' skid.
Brock Zylstra scored 13 points in the first half for BYU, including hitting all three of his 3-point attempts. Zylstra finished as the Cougars' second-leading scorer with 15 points and BYU hit 6-of-12 3-pointers.
Anson Winder came off the bench for the Cougars and added 10 points, four rebounds, a steal and a blocked shot.
Santa Clara (12-6, 1-3 WCC) was led by Kevin Foster, who scored 22 points and had three assists. Trasolini had a double-double with 17 points and 14 rebounds.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33