BYU basketball: Big run lifts Cougars to 82-64 win over Santa Clara
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — One minute, it looked like Santa Clara might make its home game against BYU on Saturday a close contest.
The next minute, those hopes faded.
The Cougars used an 18-0 run over a seven-minute span in the middle of the second half to secure an 82-64 victory over the Broncos. Six different BYU players scored during the run, led by six points from Tyler Haws.
Haws paced the Cougar offense, scoring 24 points on 10-of-14 shooting from the field. He added five rebounds and three steals.
Santa Clara overcame a 41-32 halftime deficit, outscoring the Cougars 12-4 in the first four minutes of the second half to narrow the gap to one point. With 13:37 remaining, a Kevin Foster free throw tied the game at 50-50.
But BYU (14-4, 4-0 West Coast Conference) took over the game from there, holding Santa Clara without a field goal for 7:56, until a Marc Trasolini layup with 6:33 remaining ended the Broncos' skid.
Brock Zylstra scored 13 points in the first half for BYU, including hitting all three of his 3-point attempts. Zylstra finished as the Cougars' second-leading scorer with 15 points and BYU hit 6-of-12 3-pointers.
Anson Winder came off the bench for the Cougars and added 10 points, four rebounds, a steal and a blocked shot.
Santa Clara (12-6, 1-3 WCC) was led by Kevin Foster, who scored 22 points and had three assists. Trasolini had a double-double with 17 points and 14 rebounds.
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- BYU football: Cougars face even more...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll return...
- Dick Harmon: Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis among...
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals in 3...
- Yeomans: What does it mean for Jimmer...
- Soccer: Taylor Booth is a 13-year-old phenom...
- Bartley, Neilson leaving BYU's basketball team
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 56
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 35
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 28
- BYU football: Cougars face even more... 21
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 16
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a... 16
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe... 11