Smith, who had 15 points and 10 rebounds, followed that with a tough fade shot and Lou Williams drained a dagger of a 3-pointer with 29 seconds left to all but clinch it for Atlanta.
Williams, Johnson and center Zaza Pachulia combined to score 39 points off the bench on a night the Jazz reserves only mustered 16 points, topped by Gordon Hayward's 12.
Derrick Favors went scoreless with just three rebounds in front of family and friends in his hometown. Enes Kanter had just four points. And Alec Burks, who'd been playing so well, saw just seven minutes.
Though it seemed Utah could've used Burks' quickness against Atlanta's speedy backcourt, Corbin got testy when asked about his guard's limited action.
"Did you watch the game?" Corbin said, frustration in his voice at the question. "He didn't have one of his better games."
None of the Jazz players did in the final quarter and a half. Atlanta, which shot 55.6 percent for the game, won the fourth quarter 35-19 in front of a riled-up crowd of 12,064.
Corbin lamented that the Jazz could've used injured Mo Williams and Marvin Williams, who was bummed to miss his first return game in Atlanta.
"We're up 15 points in the third quarter," Corbin added. "We should have been able to control this ballgame."
"Maybe Ty (was) right. Maybe we felt like we had the game in the bag and they was just going to lay down," Jefferson said. "I hope we learned a lesson from tonight."
Now the Jazz have less than 24 hours from the end of this one to regroup in time for tonight's game at Detroit.
"As you remember last year, we lost a tough game here and we went back and bounced back against the Nets," said Jefferson, recalling the Jazz's 139-133 four-overtime loss last March and the ensuing win at New Jersey the next night. "We've just got to do it again now, right now at this moment. It just (stinks) right now."
"That’s the NBA. We didn't put our best performance out tonight," Corbin said. "Get on the plane, suit up tomorrow and we've got another chance to do it."
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will not go...
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 136
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 94
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 76
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 53
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48