PROVO, Utah — Utah Valley University senior Allah Laryea-Akrong ran the fourth-fastest time in the nation in the 60m Friday at the BYU Invitational with the time of 6.69 seconds.
Laryea-Akrong shattered his own school record by nearly one-tenth of a second. Coming into the event, which was the second of the season for the Wolverines, Laryea-Akrong was ranked 11th in the nation at 6.78.
Mississippi State's D'Angelo Cherry recorded the fastest time in the nation Thursday with a 6.66 at the UAB Blazer Indoor Invitational and Brent Lee is second in the national with a 6.67 in the same meet.
Laryea-Akrong is fourth behind Clemson freshman Tevin Hester, who ran a 6.68 at the Tiger Invitational on Friday.
"For the first time in a couple of years he knows he has an indoor and outdoor season to compete," UVU track and field coach Scott Houle said. "He trained really well during the summer trying the make the Ghana Olympic team and he's carried it through to this year."
In the same meet in which Laryea-Akrong set the new school record, teammate Nicholas Taylor tied the old school record at 6.78.
"It was a great race for him," Houle said of Taylor's mark.
As a team, Houle was pleased with Friday's efforts.
"We felt good with what we saw," Houle said. "For a month without a lot of guided and intense training, they came back in good shape and healthy and we were excited about the times and performances. We weren't expecting to see that with the long break."
The BYU Invitational concludes Saturday with the men's and women's weight throw and shot put. Competition begins at 10 a.m. at the Smith Fieldhouse.
Also, Cole Eisenhour (60H, 1st, 8.49); Krissy Knowles (1st, 9.22, 60H); Courtney Paddock (400m, 1st, 58.25); Shaelee Sweatfield (800m, 1st, 2:27.01); Nicholas Taylor (300m, 1st, 34.91); Aimee Wheeler (long jump, 1st, 16-00.25); Joni Warnick (pole vault, 1st, 9-06.25); Maryn Pincock (discus, 1st, 148-03.50).
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll return...
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals in 3...
- Dick Harmon: Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis among...
- Soccer: Taylor Booth is a 13-year-old phenom...
- BYU football: Cougars face even more...
- The Pit is no place anyone wants to be, yet...
- Yeomans: What does it mean for Jimmer...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 52
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 35
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 28
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a... 16
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 15