PROVO, Utah — Utah Valley University senior Allah Laryea-Akrong ran the fourth-fastest time in the nation in the 60m Friday at the BYU Invitational with the time of 6.69 seconds.
Laryea-Akrong shattered his own school record by nearly one-tenth of a second. Coming into the event, which was the second of the season for the Wolverines, Laryea-Akrong was ranked 11th in the nation at 6.78.
Mississippi State's D'Angelo Cherry recorded the fastest time in the nation Thursday with a 6.66 at the UAB Blazer Indoor Invitational and Brent Lee is second in the national with a 6.67 in the same meet.
Laryea-Akrong is fourth behind Clemson freshman Tevin Hester, who ran a 6.68 at the Tiger Invitational on Friday.
"For the first time in a couple of years he knows he has an indoor and outdoor season to compete," UVU track and field coach Scott Houle said. "He trained really well during the summer trying the make the Ghana Olympic team and he's carried it through to this year."
In the same meet in which Laryea-Akrong set the new school record, teammate Nicholas Taylor tied the old school record at 6.78.
"It was a great race for him," Houle said of Taylor's mark.
As a team, Houle was pleased with Friday's efforts.
"We felt good with what we saw," Houle said. "For a month without a lot of guided and intense training, they came back in good shape and healthy and we were excited about the times and performances. We weren't expecting to see that with the long break."
The BYU Invitational concludes Saturday with the men's and women's weight throw and shot put. Competition begins at 10 a.m. at the Smith Fieldhouse.
Also, Cole Eisenhour (60H, 1st, 8.49); Krissy Knowles (1st, 9.22, 60H); Courtney Paddock (400m, 1st, 58.25); Shaelee Sweatfield (800m, 1st, 2:27.01); Nicholas Taylor (300m, 1st, 34.91); Aimee Wheeler (long jump, 1st, 16-00.25); Joni Warnick (pole vault, 1st, 9-06.25); Maryn Pincock (discus, 1st, 148-03.50).
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37