Utah State Aggies defeat San Jose State Spartans for fifth straight WAC win
Eli Lucero, Associated Press
LOGAN — Nov. 15, 2012.
That's the last time the Utah State men's basketball team lost a game. With a 66-60 win Friday against San Jose State University, the Aggies have now won a total of 13 straight games.
The Aggies had five different players score in double figures, led by preseason WAC player of the year Preston Medlin. Medlin scored a game-high 25 points and recorded five assists as well. He also converted all 11 of his free-throw attempts. In 32 minutes, Medlin went 5 for 10 from the field, making two of his six 3-point attempts.
D.J. Brown led the Spartans in scoring. His 16 points in the losing effort came over 37 minutes and on 5-for-14 shooting.
The Aggies led for most of the game, never allowing the Spartans to lead in the second half. The Aggies were able to create a little separation during a 4-minute-and-55-second second-half stretch in which San Jose State went scoreless. Despite the dry spell, the Aggies never were able to get ahead by more than nine points.
Freshman point guard and American Fork native Marcel Davis struggled in this game. He recorded only two points in 24 minutes, making a single 2-point shot in five attempts. He went 0 for 2 from beyond the arc.
Notes: The Utah State student section, known as The HURD, put on a "beard-out" for this game in honor of Medlin's facial hair.
Medlin is coming into his own as of late. The Texas native is averaging 22 points per game in conference play. It was his 3-pointer against Idaho that sent that game into overtime. Medlin's free-throw shooting against SJSU down the stretch kept the Spartans at bay.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25